1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not sure what to do!!!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by greener, Dec 17, 2009.

1. greener

greener New Member

I recieved a deer cape the other day and just took it out and fleshed it out. Had a little smell to it and then when I was moving it around big chunks of hair were falling out. Now is there anything I can do to lock the hair in or what. This is the first time this has happened to me and I'm kinda in a pannic! ??? I'm still really new at this and would like some help.... Oh and i always send the hides out to have them tanned if thats any help!!!

2. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Never a good sign. It will probably only get worse. I'd contact the customer and let them be aware of the problem. The cause of most slipping capes is from the care they got from field to taxidermist. If he knows the care wasn't that great, then he'll problably spring for a new cape (after you've tackfully humbled him).. good luck!

3. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

I like to check the cape out good when the customer drops it off. If it is frozen when they bring it in, I always ask them how quickly after the kill it was frozen. I tell them that I will call them once it is thawed to let them know that the cape is alright and let them know up front that they may have to buy another cape if it is not. . That sort of protects me in a situation like yours. Hopefully all will work out for you.

4. flesher

flesher New Member

get the guy another cape.once they start to slip sometimes you can kill the bacteria on the cape,and maybe isolate a hot spot ant it wont get any worse.most of the time if the whole cape is suffering from prolonged exposure,it wont survive the prep work .

5. you might try putting denatured alcohol or salt on the hide to see if you can "save" the hair...but depending on the chunks of hair may call for a new cape