1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear hunt in Kentucky

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Zimmie, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

I'm heading out Friday morning to hunt the first bear season in Ky in over 100 yrs. Wish me luck. Ryan

2. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Good for you, best of luck! What was the reason for not having a season, and why the change?

3. ktmhrs

ktmhrs Member

Ryan i hope you meant saturday instead of friday.
    Wayne according to the kentucky department of fish and wildlife, black bear are well established in eastern ky. they opened up a 2 day season(saturday and sunday) in 3counties. There can only be 10 bears taken total or 5 females... which ever is filled first.
    Best of luck Ryan

4. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

We are leaving out friday morning. It will be about a 5 to 6 hour drive. The hunting will begin sat morning. Hey Wayne, I think KTM summed it up as to why we have a season now. Thank you for the wishes. Hopefully I will be able to post some photos after the weekend. Ryan

5. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Thanks, for the info. I would have thought Kentucky to have a larger population of bears than that. It surprised me that there wasn't a season until now. Best of luck and hunt safe.

6. cwt

cwt Active Member

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN THE QUOTA IS FILLED. I KNOW YOU HAVE A NUMBER TO CALL TO FIND OUT BUT WHAT IF ON SATURDAY IT IS NOT FILLED AND THEN YOU GO OUT SUNDAY AND WHILE YOU ARE SITTING THERE THE 10 BEARS GET KILLED AND THEN YOU SHOOT ONE TO MAKE IT 11 THEN WHAT HAPPENS?....Sorry for the caps.

7. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

That's what I was thinking.

8. It's probably just so the Cumberland treehuggers won't get all up in arms about the bear pop diminishing again.

9. bowkill

bowkill New Member

if it is shot the same day as the quota was filled then you are fine if it is done in the back country (probably not a lot of that in Ky then they give you a little more time to report here in Idaho we have quotas on wolf (finally) and female cats. They take the situation into consideration but it does cause some problems with its kinda up to the officers discretion and if you have a officer that doesn't like hunters (ya we've had a few) he could could push some issues more than others. good luck to ya. bear hunting is fun an a very respectable animal too hunt. Im amazed at what they notice out of place.

10. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

good luck and post pics if u get something

11. ktmhrs

ktmhrs Member

Bowkill is right, once a bear is harvested you immediately have to check it in, being the first bear hunt in a long long time in Ky they will want to see each bear harvested and record some data about them. There potentially could be more than 10 bears killed or more than 5 sows. All hunters are responsible to check in after the first day to see if the limit has been reached and to see if more bears may be harvested. Its just like most quota hunts.

12. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

Unfortunately, no harvest pics to show. We had a major snow storm hit and all the bears went to den. Believe it or not, 0 bears were killed. Maybe they will double up next year. We will have to wait and see. Ryan

13. bowkill

bowkill New Member

that sucks man better luck next year

14. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

dude that does suck, good luck for next year

15. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

Thanks guys. I think the state will probably make some changes in the season. It will be interesting to see.