1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Photography? Updated, got a new camera!!!!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dbl.thraot_patch, Dec 19, 2009.

1. dbl.thraot_patch

dbl.thraot_patch New Member

Iowa
    I see a lot of you guys and gals really take some outstanding photos of your mounts and other things. I am wanting to get a quality camera, something better than the point and shoot models. I really don't know didly about photography. I have been know to take some nice field phots though. I think I could make them even better with a better quality camera. I have no idea about things like shutter speed and lenses, but I want to learn. Can anyone give me some pointers on a good camera to start and learn with, something that won't drive me nuts trying to learn on, but yet will take higher quality photos. Thanks

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Re: Photography?

I can't help you on the camera choice, but Bobbi did a great tutorial on photos. It may help you in the future.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125319.0.html

3. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

that's a nice tutorial

4. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

I use a nikon D40, great camera and you can set it to auto or do everything on your own. Great pics dont just come from expensive cameras though.......use you imagination and try alot of angles and camera settings. I take like 20 pics of the same deer before I get the one i want sometimes.

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

To get really good pics, you are not going to buy that kind of camera at the store. Atleast that is what my wife tells me, and I know what she has in both of hers!(LOL) I could put you intouch with her, and she could recommend something for you if you are interested.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

You can do allot with a regular digital camera, no need to fork a wad of cash over for a fancy go fast camera. A tripod and some shop clamp lights is all you need, make the light soft by bouncing it off the walls and ceiling, take several pictures with room light on, then off, shades closed , then open,, find the combination that your camera likes and have fun, no need to spend a ton of money.

7. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

photo editing software will help to "manipulate" the photos.
    GIMP is free and it's what I use to edit all my photos.

8. dbl.thraot_patch

Iowa

Matt- that would be great if I could talk with someone with a lot of experience. I have a lot of question....lol and, I have been pricing a lot of cameras, I could imagine what your wife has invested.

Mr. T- That's great advise, but what fun would that be. My wife would wonder what the heck is wrong with me if I took the logical route. I'm an impulse buyer, I think it keeps me sane and motivated. Seriously what good is working so hard for money if you can't go out and spend it......lol

Bobbi- I don't know how I missed that tutorial but it is fantastic. I will definitely be checking out Gimp.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Search online for some basic photography lessons on lighting. You can buy soft light boxes if you want to flex that wallet.

10. Re: Photography?

For the money you can't go wrong with Canon's digital rebel model. There are several styles to chose from.

11. monarch

monarch New Member

Hi, Throat - Patch. Any digital SLR will get the job done but for ultimate quality you need to get something in the 12 - 21 Million category, Nikon, Canon etc.

12. dbl.thraot_patch

Iowa

How is the Olymus e420? Would that be a good slr to start with?

13. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

Canon camera here.
    It takes really good pics and has a lot of features, many of which I haven't even touched on.
    I'm not familiar with the Olympus cameras and their quality, never used one.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Any Quality digital will work Kory. It doesn't have to have any bells and whistles. I use a pocket sized Olympus 8.0 megapixal.
    The trick is the lighting.

Attached Files:

• bsf.JPG
      bsf.JPG
      File size:
      101.7 KB
      Views:
  15. dbl.thraot_patch

Iowa

Well I got my new camera for Christmas. It's a Nikon D3000 SLR. This thing is gonna take a lot of practice to bring out the full potential of this camera. The place where we got offers 2 free lessons that I will take full advantage of. Here are some pics I've taken so far. I can really tell a big difference in photo quality.

Here is one of my favorites so far. I like how she is in focus in the foreground but the backround is not.

Attached Files:

16. dbl.thraot_patch

Iowa

a couple more

Attached Files:

17. joeuhuh

joeuhuh New Member

i think u need to work on ur bunny mount ur daughter is holding it doesnt look realistic at all photo is nice a clear though

18. dbl.thraot_patch

Iowa
    LOL, Yea I was realy struggling with the eye lashes.

19. That's alot of camera, will take great pictures. make sure you pair it with good glass. Have fun!