1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures" ~Year 4~ Week # 8-9

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Beautiful work you guys. Here is a picture of my good friend Ralph Endsley holding a 45" LCR N. Pike I just finished over the weekend. Did sort of a rush job on it but it turned out ok. It's hard for me to paint those markings on a repro Pike. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

Attached Files:

2. Great fish guys very nice! Dan B best trout I have ever seen ,Love the Grouper also and, Travis love The mahi,Merry Christmas Guys
    Here is my metal flounder and mahi

Attached Files:

3. gus

gus New Member

Here are a few of the "can it be ready by Chritmas" mounts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. UFD

UFD New Member

Dang nice lookin’ fish, everyone, awesome work for sure! ;)

Here are a couple client Smallmouth that I have recently finished:

This first fish is a 24” replica that was heavily modified from a McGinnity cast. I lopped off the head and fins and put some of my own casts on the body. What this world needs is a good 24”-25” Smallmouth replica.

[​IMG]

This next one is a 17” skin mount with a cast head. It was painted just like a replica, i.e., it was whited-out and then painted from scratch.

[​IMG]

And here is a picture of the two together that shows comparative size along with a photo showing the color scheme of the larger fish I was aiming for (which was a bit difficult to interpret due to the location of the sun). They don’t really go together, I was just goofing around while taking photos of the smaller fish. The base for the 17” skin mount is designed to set on a table/shelf or hang on the wall, and may have a second fish added to the rear lower left sometime in the future - so at that point I’ll likely have to arrange for a different hanger location and add a small piece of driftwood for the attachment for the second fish (which won’t effect the way it can sit on a table or shelf).

[​IMG]

5. dsmithgall

dsmithgall New Member

WOW...nothing short of perfection... awesome fish boys- been awhile since I have been on- looks like I missed a ton...

6. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

Hey Travis, I think if you hang in there and keep practicing, you'll eventually get the hang of painting fish! In fact, they're actually starting to look half way decent. ;D :p

BTW, nice fish, everyone and a Merry Christmas to ya'll from Texas. - Mike

7. TomL

TomL New Member

Excellent fish this week everyone. Here's a skin mount pike I just finished. Happy Holidays to all.
    [​IMG]

8. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Wow, This another phenominal week for fish!!! Great job from all!!

9. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

Here's one I did the vintage way . So I figured I would give it the vintage look

[​IMG]

10. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    No fishwork from me this week - been mounting stags for 2 months now. BUT I wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! Thanks so much for the 2009 everybody :D :D Your Norwegian friend Ollie

11. Chad See

Chad See Certified "Fish Head"

Been really busy here, but wanted to stop in and say that this week in fish pics is AMAZING. Very likely the best week I have ever seen. Great work guys! It was my pleasure to view it!!!

12. Awesome work this week.

Love love LOVE the grouper.
    They are so cool looking.
    Dave the Smallies are very nice, Whats more fun then modifications. lol They look great.

Well Its been a CRAZY last few weeks for me. Hardy a moment to sleep. But as of a half hour ago I am DONE working for the week.
    Nothing but cookies, Christmas music, and friends and family for the next few days.

Here is a fish I finished the other day.
    An 8" custom replica male pumpkinseed.
    The Idea was to give the fish a simplistic base that complemented the fish, while leaving room on the plaque for my customer to write a personal note for a friend.
    I went with a reddish orange stain on the plaque, blues and greens on the rocks and green from the lilys to complement the colors of a spawning male pumpkinseed.
    I molded the Lilly pad from a Lily in my pond. The rocks were molded and the snail under the lily and the root were sculpted.
    The iridescents were quite a bit of fun to play with on this fish, unfortunately as always photos barely pick it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas and happy Holidays everyone!

13. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

very nice josh

do you have a close up of the snail?

14. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

wow great mount josh, i'd also like to see a close-up of that snail

15. Josh Josh Josh, That Pumpkinseed is gorgeous. The Pumpkinseed Sunfish is one of my all time favorite fish. I have never seen a seed mount that looks very good. You pulled it off in a big way my friend. The detail in the fins and cheek area are bar none.

16. Manny

Manny New Member

Great work Josh

17. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    Josh the seed is absoulutely beyond words!! Great Job!!

18. hambone

hambone Active Member

Great job Josh, sometimes less is more.

19. Great job EVERYBODY!

6lb 4oz. Kentucky Lake Striper! ;D

Attached Files:

20. UFD

UFD New Member

Josh, the Pumpkinseed (and its habitat) is GORGEOUS!

I had one fish left to finish before Christmas, and this is it - a 22" Largemouth. So now I'm done for a few days too... 8)

[​IMG]

Happy Holidays to everyone, and I look forward to seeing what all of you add to TWIFP in the New Year!