Some of the posts on here concerning PH, that I have been reading, I am finding a little disturbing, to say the least. Please take a few minutes, to read and study this link, before posting.(include formic acid, in the 2 area) http://staff.jccc.net/pdecell/chemistry/phscale.html Now, did a few of you understand this? If so, how much more acidic is a pickle, with a PH of 1.5, than a pickle with a PH of 2? Do you folks that like to have a pickle at a PH of 1, or 1.5, REALLY think you are neutralising a skin, with 1oz of baking soda per gallon of water, for 20-30 minutes? Heck no, YOU ARE NOT, and I don't care what your PH paper reads after placing it on the skin! Your PH, needs to remain between 2, and 2.5, and that's it! A PH as low as 1 or 1.5, is EXTRTEMELY hard to neutralise! You are wasting acid, and I very rarely see mention of adding more salt, when adding more acid, to adjust the PH, to these ridiculously low PH values? Salt, is your ONLY defense, against the acid eating up your skins! The salt content in your pickle, IS NOT a constant. 25% of it, is being absorbed by the skins, SO, every time you add acid, YOU ADD SALT. OK, lets talk.