1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help, Help, Help

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bearman, Sep 20, 2006.

1. bearman

bearman New Member

Could some one please take a look at this picture and see if they have any ideas. I mounted this deer and it turned out like a furbe. I have never ever had anything like this happen to me before out 15 yrs of taxidermy. I have had deer have a mane time of deal but never like this. The hide was perfect and looked fine. It is terrible. I hope the picture shows up [​IMG]

2. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Was it slipping any? The only time I've had one do that, it was starting to slip. The hair tries to turn backwards.

3. bearman

bearman New Member

I did not finish typing what I need. Can anyone help or suggest what to do with the hair on the woolybugger. It is crazy. Any suggestions would be great!

4. bearman

bearman New Member

Yes the hair was slipping but not in the places you can see. I pretty well took care of most of that. But I guess it could have been getting ready to let go in the areas you see. Do you have any suggestions

5. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I've never had any great success with getting it to lay. I have tried slicking it down with hair gell and carding it, but it still curled a little even after it was dry.
    Glen might have a solution.

6. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

Looks to me like the cape was to large for the mannikin, even then i cant imagine it would look like that after some grooming. Strange i guess is all i can say!

7. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

Taxi the skin around a little bit, looks like there is some wrinlkes in it.

8. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Looks like you will be in the market for a large cape! I had one do that last year and I took it to the tanner to ask why, said it was going bad and that the hairs are not going to lay down. It was slipping in a couple places as well.
    That is one nice buck as well!! ;D

9. bearman

bearman New Member

Thanks W. Rivers but it was almost to be honest a perfect fit and it is too late to Taxi the skin It has been mounted about a week and 1/2 and it is not wrinkles it is just bad, bad, bad, is all I can say. I just found this site. The trouble was I was so afraid to move it because of the hair slipping. I got it mounted and but in front of a fan to speed up the drying hoping to lock the hair. But thanks for you best guess! Thank you too Jim and Becky. Ya I guess I will have to try the gel thing. I was hoping someone would have a better answer. But I'm afraid what Jim said will be correct... the hair is not going to lay down. Does anyone Know where to get a large cape like that at a decent price?

10. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

The skinny shaft of the hair (medulla) has been chemically softened right above the epidermis.

Did this show up after it started drying down, or at the time of mounting?

Check out these two photos, the first shows a hair that has been dissolved in two, the second shows a hair type that is more inclined to exhibit this tendency. I just call it a zig zaggy hair. You will see that it IS NOT a straight hair.

If you have good eyes, you will be able to see the absense of a follicle on the slipped hairs. If you pull the hair, and the shaft pulls out long and skinny like taffy, you probably need to take something out of your tanning diet.

I'll be back in a bit, gotta feed the beasts.

Don't forget to thank Ken Edwards and WASCO for making this magic possible.

11. Randall

Randall Guest

I have had it happen on a nothern Deer last year. Mix some clay with water till it forms a thin paste. Paint it on the hair with a paint brush from front to back and let the mount dry. After about 2 weeks, just brush the hair and the clay will turn to dust and fall out. I use this on the seam also. Works on any unruley hair. Hope this helps. Randall

12. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

I thought it looked like it just needs groomed, but I guess there is more than meets the eyes with that picture. I hope it works out for ya, that is a nice buck, big neck and everything.

13. bearman

bearman New Member

Randall are you saying the clay will help this to lay down? Or hide the ugly mess? What kind of clay or does it matter?

Glen can you explain what you mean by taking something out of my tanning diet? It may be in the morning before I get to follow up but if you would let me know I would appreciate it.

Any other suggestions are welcome, I am disperate to try and save this deer, I may never kill another one like it. Once in a life time for me.

14. bearman

bearman New Member

Hey W.Rivers where you get the cat? Not to change my post because I am disprate to try to correct my problem but I would like to get one.

15. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

I have one just like that in the shop drying right now! The hair is shedding badly on mine. The one I have is because of chemical slippage, Glen know the exact term but I think it is "ammonium chloride" Not by anything I did when it was tanning but actually before I even got the deer. It was one of them that was in the care of it's owner for a day or two too long. I should also note that the deer also had one very bad slip spot on it's neck. Other wise the hair looks like Glen's "taffy".

I am planning on not touching it until it's all the way dry and then give it a coat of Stop Slip.

16. bearman

bearman New Member

Well I tried the clay/water paste method tonight that Randall suggested. I have to admit it is an ingenious idea. It didn't correct the problem 100% but I can tell ya that it did help it 100%. I believe that it might just save the mount. I will let everyone know later. I can tell ya if it saves this mount it can save anyting! Honest. The pictures did not show the damage as bad as it really was. It was BAD!! I am kind of excited again about the finished mount. I was completely heart broken!!