Tips for beginners looking for critiques

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Bobbi Meyer, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

A lot of beginners on here ask for critiques on their mounts.

So I’m going to try and outline what types of photos are needed
    BEFORE you post, so it will save you time and you won’t need to
    Run back and forth between the forum and your mount, dragging your camera
    With you! LOL

If possible take the mount outside, so the lighting is good.
    If that isn’t possible, just use whatever means you have to get enough light for good,
    clear pictures.

Hope these tips help you out.

My own personal preference is that you post the pictures BEFORE the mount is dry.
    This way things can still be moved or adjusted.
    Once the mount is dry, redoing things is MUCH more involved.

DO however, blow the fur as dry as possible before posting the pics.
    A nice fluffy animal is easier to work with, as you can tell where the final hair
    patterns will be, if it is blown dry and groomed.

When possible, I’m going to use live deer pictures rather than pictures of mounted
    Deer in case you want to use the photos as reference.

First off we’ll start with the basic frontal shots.

We need a good picture of the brisket area.
    Just squat in front of the deer so it’s a straight on shot.
    [​IMG]

Next we need a straight on shot of the head neck area.

[​IMG]

Now we need a side shot of the whole head

[​IMG]

A close up of the eyes

[​IMG]

A front shot of the eyes.

[​IMG]

A front shot of the nose

[​IMG]

A side shot of the nose.

[​IMG]

Additional shot you may want to take would be one from the back.

[​IMG]

The same basic principals apply to mammals, but add a shot of the legs/paws and tail.
    and blow the FUR dry before posting pics

2. joeuhuh

joeuhuh New Member

sweet good thinkin bobbi hehe i love the critique posts but ur right the pics are almost always craptastic wonder if this could be stickied in the beginners section and gamehead section so peopel would always see it first

good on yas

joe

3. redwolf

redwolf New Member

Very nice Bobbi. That's GREAT advice.

4. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Great idea Bobbi,, and yes, I added the reference photo's.

Thanks

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Nice work Bobbi. In Fact I would say; Flawless. Everything is so Natural looking. You should win ANY competition you enter! GL

6. Bobbi Meyer

you would have to report to the moderator and ask for a sticky...I can't report my own post

7. Bobbi Meyer

too funny!

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You might want to tell the newb that mounted that deer, that the right ear looks like it might be a bit low. Judging by the yellowing of the inner ear, I'm also going to guess they used that crappy ear epoxy from McKenzie. It wouldn't hurt if they back brushed that brow a little while it was still wet, and the edge of the deer's left ear has a spot that doesn't look very crisp.

Good examples of what's needed for a more informative critique Bobbi.

9. Bobbi Meyer

I thought the same thing Cole, but I felt sorry for the guy since he was "new" LOL
    sorry I had to swipe your pic, but couldn't find a live deer in the pose I wanted !

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'm honored that a pic of mine is allowed to grace the pages of a Meyer thread. ;D

11. Bobbi Meyer

blushing!

12. 7-Point

7-Point New Member

good idea to put this in a post. should make it sticky, i know it will help me when i need a critique on my first

13. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

its about time someone did this. thanks bobbi

14. Bobbi Meyer

if someone could mention it to ken he may be able to sticky this, if you think it's a good idea?

also, if you think there are some other shots that may prove useful, or if you have a better reference pic, let me know and I'll edit the original post and add them.

15. D.C.O

D.C.O Dreamcatcher Outfitters & Taxidermy

excellent idea! Thanks Bobbi

16. Gatorjaw

Gatorjaw New Member

If I may add, for newcomers. If your eyes, ears, nose and mouth do not look like your reference photo's you ain't there. If you can;t see it, then someone telling you probably wont help. And if you are the kind that can learn verbally you will probably be able to get what you need from a tutorial. You can spend alot of time trying to decipher who has the right answer, when you could be watching a video where you can actually see the application in progress. Or have it explained by someone more qualified to teach. I am not typeing this in an angry tone! This should be something that will really help and save you time. Good luck!

17. trapperfred

trapperfred New Member

I would also like to add something that can't be stressed enough. reference reference reference. You don't know that you are doing something wrong because you can't see it. Thats why you are asking for a critique. Well, it doesn't always take a taxidermist to see whats wrong with your mount so don't be afraid to ask friends or family to take a look at it and give an honest opinion. Heck ask a random person walking by your house if you have to but use reference

18. Awsome pics

19. Bobbi Meyer

The only problem with that is most people on the street and especially family don't know shit from shinola when it comes to a good mount, or they don't wanna hurt your feelings by saying "it looks aweful"
    We aren't known here for being a kindly group of folks when it comes to critiques, but you will get an HONEST one.
    and yes I definitely agree with the using reference pics or better yet 3D models.

20. coyotegirl

coyotegirl New Member

good advice!