1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Rug Repair.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Michelle_Nelson, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

This bear was a wholesale job I did for another Taxi that was behind and trying to get caught up. This was one of the Bears he sent me. It was already tanned and the Rug shell already in. Needless to say about pissed my pants when I pulled this one out to work on. I am not sure who he had tan this hide but who ever it was it was the absolute worst tanning job when it comes to stretch I have ever seen.

Here is a Photo of the entire Bear hide right after I rehydrated it.

[​IMG]

Front right leg and the only one that was cut correctly

[​IMG]

This is the Front Left Leg. The arm was skinned to high across the chest so the top of the arm is actually in the arm pit. That is why it lays the way it does.

[​IMG]

This is the Left Rear Leg. I have no idea what was going through their minds when they skinned it out because the foot was being held to the hide with a 2" wide piece of hide.

[​IMG]

This is the Right rear leg. Who ever skinned out the leg started their incision on the top of the foot and skinned around to the butt hole. So the flank is actually on the bottom part of the leg.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the Bear after all the repairs have been made and it is stretched out on the stretching table. I got a rough measurement of 137 inches of sewing to piece this Bear back together. That does not incluse the wedges in the arm pits or the bullet holes (i think there were 4).

[​IMG]

Here is the finnished product after rugging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redog76

redog76 New Member

wow way to go the customer will be stoked!!!

3. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

I don't know how to show you, I am bowing to you right now... Great recovery..

4. Ongaku

Ongaku Nut Sack

Wow, kudos to you man. Looked like a cracked up skull from the ER after brain surgery. That gave me a headache just looking at it.

5. nitt

nitt Member

good repair had one not as bad as that but the same problem with there skin jobs. Good job looks great hope you charge for the extra work

6. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Nice work, I took a bear to rug last week. It was the travel version, 6 piece, head and paws removed, and remainder "salted". As you might guess, salt on top of two inches of fat and enough red meat to make fajitas for a family of four. Unfortunately, I like a challenge. I did think of taking pictures for a how not to.

7. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Michelle,

You did what a reputable and responsible Taxidermist has to do - you got the job done! Great save! Great work! Nice rugging table, by the way!

John.

8. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    I gotta say you did a standup job!! I would show the customer wour pics of the rehydrated bear and charge accordingly for th extra sewing and repairs.you bet I would!!!! Studid should cost someone!

9. Michelle_Nelson

Thanks guy.

10. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Wow, I am shocked that you were able to piece that together so well .Looks Great. I skinned out my own bear for a lifesize..My first . I'll be sending it out soon. It has a rough spot or 2 ,but nothing like that I hope. LOL

11. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

WOW!!!! You are better than David Copperfield "the Magican" Fantastic save the Rug looks fantastic.

12. quest

quest Active Member

Utah
    Nice job. quest

13. wildart

wildart New Member

Michelle,
    I have been doing rugs for over 25 years and have had a few like that. I actually put a "stupidity charge" on one. (He managed to get both front legs on the same side. ) You did a SUPER job. I KNOW how many hours you have in the repairs. Your repairs are great. The customer should be thankful for such a great rug from such a piece of junk.
    Maybe next time, he'll skin the bear before he starts to celebrate.
    Again, Great job!

14. well done

15. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

Awesome job! I had one similar to that from a client, and my wife nicknamed it "Frankenbear" because of all the patching and stitching on it. I accused my client/friend of using a woodchipper to skin it ;D. I also told him he had to sit through a bear-skinning video before I'd accept another bear from him again :D.

16. Michelle_Nelson

HA, my husband nicknamed him "Patches". He said it looked like they skinned it out with a machete.

17. WNWA

WNWA New Member

great job on the mess you had to work with....

18. Awesome job Michelle! Can I stop by and take some rugging lessons from you?! :D

19. Michelle_Nelson

That is funny you ask that. I have had several people in the last year ask me to give rugging lessons.

20. Oh god Mich. I forgot how bad that thing was LMAO!!