1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan problems

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by TROPHY SHACK, Dec 23, 2009.

1. TROPHY SHACK

TROPHY SHACK Phillip cole

I used krowtan for first time,let it stay in tan 5 days went by directions to a tee but my deer cape seems to have shrunk 2 sizes,fleshed thin and got no streach,anyone have the problems i have had

2. shdyhollotaxi

shdyhollotaxi New Member

I feel ya have the same problem .would like to know what I'm doing wrong

3. TROPHY SHACK

Yea had to put cape in freezer would not go on form ,today was rough.

4. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

Did you follow the neutralize step Properly?Whether you did or didnt do it again.Following the instructions and you should get that stretch.

5. TROPHY SHACK

Thinking of going back to Dp and good hide glue seems to work and hold good

6. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

The instuctions say that if it did not get soft and stretchy to re-nuetralize. Maybe you did not follow the instructions to a "T". If it was nuetralized properly, it should be good to go.

7. waterdude

waterdude You gotta KILL IT... before you can GRILL IT!

Neutralize it properly and wash in tide and you should get the stretch you need. Been using KT for hundreds of capes with no issues

8. Mine do shrink a little also but just rehydrate,And i have been using the back of a chair and getting plenty of stretch out of it.

9. nitt

nitt Member

neutralize n thin should have no problems if not try to spray a light mist of dawn dish soap n water let set ten min then stretch

10. JETT

JETT Member

I had to re-neutralize before with krowntan so try that.

11. rebel

rebel New Member

did you shave it

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

PM elkhunter1313, he knows more about KT than anyone.

13. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

LMAO, Cole you hit it on the head.

14. TROPHY SHACK

Thanks all for help,i will try some of the tips

15. TROPHY SHACK

tanning is going to have to wate for now,geting ready to go on a bow hunt for Ram,wish me luck,if sucessfull going to do a full mount on rock

16. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

Good luck!!Where are u going to hunt at?Its a challenge to take a Ram with a bow.Make sure to post pics of the hunt.

17. TROPHY SHACK

Thanks will post pics

18. doublelung

doublelung Member

Neutralize and shave thin.

19. verne

verne Well-Known Member

did you stretch it every day while it was in the kowtann ; this open`s the cape up to excepted the krowtann and cut`s down on shrinkage.

20. Also, if you have a tumbler get some krow oil and massage in and let sit in fridge for 24 hrs and then tumble in korn cob grit and or dryer with no heat and a couple towels. you will get toooo much stretch. Well at least I did. But like someone said earlier, stretch it each day that it in the tan and you should be fine.