1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan problems

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by TROPHY SHACK, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Man that simple KT gets more and more complicated.

2. Twisted.

Twisted. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Its not the KT, its the users.

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Cole...I dont think I could handle it. I will have to stick with my pickle & Liqua Tan & NO PROBLEMS.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Me too, it looks like a lot of work. I'm too dumb and lazy to use KT, guess I'll keep doing it the same way as you.

5. fougair

fougair New Member

If you don't like the results don't use it .It is not that hard to use ! Some people just refuse to admit that they screwed up and blame the product because people DON'T make mistakes .Shave the hide thin! :(

6. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

NO PROBLENS? That is because neither one of you are beginners.I guarantee the beginners WILL have more problems with the pickle and Liqua tan.
    I always recommend KT to the beginner and when they get faster at turning then experiment with the other tanns or they will loose capes they wish they did not.................
    Only real reason you guys don't like it is for the sake of just not liking it lol.........
    I used Liquatan for years and Ive used KT for years so I have the feel for both........

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

It's not that I don't like it, it just sounds like too much work for me. Now I have to take it out, give it a shave and an oil massage, then dry w/ no heat and a couple towels? Hell, I just as well be running a spa.

8. verne

verne Well-Known Member

It`s simple ; i like doing my final fleshing with a neutralized skin,shaves nice. and easy on the blade.Now me i get better stretch than when i use to pickle and liqua tan,and i did my capes for over ten years that way.maybe its all the oil`s in the whitetail formula i don`t know.but it not a bad product and i don`t see why so many people have problems with it.

9. bill@hogheaven

Did you ever think that if that many people have problems with it there might be some problems with the product? Or is that just patently impossible?

10. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

If people learned how to FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ::)there probably wouldn't be PROBLEMS with the PRODUCT ;D

11. If properly fleshed and shaved and neutralized even AFTER tanning/pickling...(Krowtann is one of the formulas that works even under "rough" fleshing conditions)...you should be able to stretch it back out...primary reason for shrinkage is not properly doing one of the above...usually neutralizing or shaving\/thinning...but then again any pickle wll do this if you do not shave/flesh/neutralize properly

12. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Don`t get wrong Liqua tan is a good product ; and i can remember years back other taxi`s telling me it wasn`t a tan and now seemed accepted.In time some thing eles will come up and krowtann wil be just a nother way to proccess a skin.

13. By the way Krowtann 2000 has krow-oil in it ut if yoiu feel like you may need more thery do sell it seperatley

14. You guys are missing the picture. I think it stretches like a raw hide. I just mounted a 23-inch neck on a 23-inch swelled neck form it sewed like a glove and fit great. Its about the third day drying when it drums everywhere around the face, jawline, forehead and shrinks about 1/8-inch from the burrs even after I fleshed them paper thin and used Smooth Out on the pedicles. The trimmings on the floor dry dark and look like a shrunken piece of dry preserved hide -- not a nice soft tanned hide. I am very disappointed with Krowtan. And you naysayers that think it's newbies and idiots that don't know how to use the product I've been around 25 years. I'm going back to Lutan and almost no shrinkage.

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Maybe that's why Krowtann fails so badly when shrink testing, performing almost exactly like rawhide. You can't convince them Bucky, so it's best we just keep doing what we do. ;)

16. bill@hogheaven

I think other people using K-tan is good for my business, cause they sure cant match the quality.

17. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Oh wow, now I have heard it all !! Now someone using Krowtann "cannot match the quality" of someone using a different method. Give me a freaking break !! That is just funny right there !! That might be the "comment" of the year !! HAHA

18. I would like to know how do you get a "tan" out of a product that only pickles ? ......where does the "tan" come in ?

19. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Wildlife Fever Taxidermy, if you rub Liqua Tan on a raw cape, is now instantly tanned ? It has tan in the name .

20. bill@hogheaven

Well heath, while they are dealing with shrinkage I wont be. They wont get a complete tan either & to many experts in the tanning industry have said so to bother arguing that point.