1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan problems

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by TROPHY SHACK, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Never tried liqua-tan although i do have some, all i know is i will go with a pickle, tan method and not just a "pickle preservative "

2. im with ya bill on this one !

3. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Bill, guess what, I am not dealing with shrinkage either & I am using Krowtann. You can get shrinkage with any method(another funny comment) if your skin is not properly thinned & prepared. So Krowtann causing shrinkage idea doesn't float.

4. I believe bill's point is krowwhatever is not a TAN ?.......am i right bill ?

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

No it is not a complete tan. Must be the only skins we didnt properly thin & prepare were the ones we tried in K-tan because they sure shrank.

6. not a complete tan exactly my point !!

and on that note ......i am done with this one .

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

[​IMG]

8. bill@hogheaven

Cole....you disappoint me. LMAO

9. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Bill, I don't know what caused your problems, I wasn't there. All I can tell you is that ALL my skins go onto mannikins the same size as the original meat measurements. Actually some could go a little bigger but I don't do that. And I have little to no shrinkage anywhere else. I mean you can't slide a business card between my eye & eyelids. All I can say is what I see in my shop with what my helper & I mount, which is no shrinkage problem. Hey, maybe I have "magic" water, wanna buy some?

10. its a formic acid pickle

11. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Who do We believe?.........The ones that used it a couple times and has it all figured out?..........
    ...........Or the Taxidermists that are getting Outstanding results?............Results that are even better than what the KT bashers put out lol
    I'm talking about Master Taxidermist(World Class) that use it on their Mounts...............That speaks for its self.............
    I have back pieces of Li qua Tann capes and KT capes and and I can put them next to each other and you can not tell them apart..........
    And............Anyone that says it mounts like a Raw skin is Full of it.............or you soaked it in too weak of a solution and it WAS raw.............
    You guys that tried KT........That's all you've done is TRYED it............Your opinion has No weight,until You,ve actually USED it.........
    If its not tanned ,then its one hell of an imitation.....lol

12. bill@hogheaven

Tom...you are the King of obfuscation.

13. TD

Bill...........You wouldn't know obfuscation if it bit you in the gluteus
    And I didn't need to look My word up in the dictionary lol ..........

14. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Somebody better hurry & call Don Stevens, Rick Carter & Brian Harness to tell them the awards they won with their KrowTann skins don't mean anything. Because you can't produce quality mounts using KrowTann !! LOL ;D ;D ;D

15. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I have used Krowtan now on ALL my game for 2 years now(Heath got me started) and I don't have shrinkage or fit problems at all. My ears are tight with ZERO drumming.

All the so called "experts" that had problems are doing SOMETHING wrong.

Maybe the paste they use doesn't react well with Krowtan.

Maybe they did not neutralize well enough(I find that I need to neutralize LONGER than the directions).

Maybe they don't detail flesh as well as they think.

Every time I try a new "tanning" system I take a leftover piece and finish it. I find no problems with the finished pieces of Krowtan I did.

"Years of experience" doesn't always mean "superior knowledge". Heck I worked in a place where they couldn't measure a deer for a form to save their rears...and they were one of the BIGGEST studios in the state.

Krowtann works. If you have problems I would ask guys who CAN make it work not those tha can't. Feel free to PM me if it would help.

16. bill@hogheaven

Another thing I would question is why use it when there are easier cheaper methods that give a complete tan.

17. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Like what?

I turn ears etc,

Stick in Krowtan

Rotate hide once a day for 3 days

neutralize, wash. shave.

Mount.

other than DP, ANY other method takes all those steps PLUS salting, drying AND oiling.

18. TD

Ive used most all of them and none are easy,less soaks maybe but not easier...............and not much cheaper either.......

19. deerhunt1985

deerhunt1985 Only dead fish go with the flow

[​IMG]

just use what you use for GODS sake

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'm not going to argue KT, because I have already in about 12 other threads, but I do have a question. What are you pickling in after you neutralize, wash, and shave?

Also, If you are not concerned w/ a complete tan, you do not have to salt your capes before pickling when using a pickle/tan method. You also do not have to dry them. You can do it exactly the same as you do KT, flesh and toss in the pickle. So...it would probably be a little cheaper, the capes would shave easier, and it would still be closer to a complete tan than KT. Not trying to convince ya...I'm just saying.