1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan problems

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by TROPHY SHACK, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Cole, I think Jim's typing got ahead of his thinking there. LOL
    I know he is not doing the steps as he typed.

2. Jim you forgot ph measuring so the skin doesn't slip....Krowtann requires NO Ph measuring whatsoever

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Didn't you just tell us KT was just a formic acid pickle? Pick a side. ::) When I pickled w/ formic I rarely checked the pH. It stays stable enough, just mix it right and toss the skins in.

4. Cole thats my point...most any of the other pickle "tanning formulas" you have to do Ph measuring

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

2 questions
    1-why dont tanneries use K-tan
    2- if you want to name dermists & awards.how does K-tan compare to all the awards won with Liquatan

I will understand if you want to ignore these questions.

6. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Tell me if I'm wrong but I believe that the Alum that is in the KT mix also has allot to do with the hair setting and stabilization of the capes.............
    I'm No chemist or Tanning expert but I do know the end results.......Ive never seen a piece of dried hide that had been just pickled show the same texture as a dried KT hide............Whatever is happening here............its working because I can defiantly recognize leather when I see and feel it .............
    You DO need to monitor the PH on a Formic acid bath............You don't then your asking for problems..........

7. TD

1 Do you know for sure that They Dont?........Or maybe they have their Own mixture thats simular to it.
    2 If they won blue ribbons in the World then how can you tell the difference?

8. Heath Cline

Ohio
    I will answer your questions then you answer mine.

1. Why don't the tanneries use liqua tan ? Why don't they use any other home method ??
    2.Now tell me how can you compare winners using liqua tann to Krowtann when Liqua tan has been around for about 20 years longer ?? HAHA Another one of those funny comments.

I like how you are skirting around your comment that " you can't produce quality with KrowTann" You have yet to explain how the three taxis I mentioned did what they did while using KrowTann. How could they do that with KrowTann if your comment holds any water. I mean if it causes YOU that much shrinkage, it got to cause it for EVERYBODY else, right ? ::)

I will understand if you sidestep this again or can't explain it to me!

9. deerhunt1985

deerhunt1985 Only dead fish go with the flow

Get the rick carter a-z mounting a whitetail....psssst. its a great movie(just dont use the krowtann) LOL whatever

10. bill@hogheaven

Heath

1-at least 2 do microtan is one, there is one in Mo. I dont know the name of.
    2- its funny to me that you cant compare for the amount of time K-tan has been around.
    Apparently my idea of quality is higher than yours. If you are comparing tanning methods I cant choose the one with the incomplete tan. Those 3 taxis could win with dry preserve too. We are going to have to agree to disagree.

11. TD

Your idea of quality is your own fantasy ...........

12. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Bill ,
    There are a couple other tanneries also.
    I never said one way was better than the other. That is your way of sidestepping your comment,point the attention elsewhere.
    No, whats funny is you sidestepping your comment "you can't get quality using KrowTann" again !
    Now you say those 3 could win with DP (which I agree), which has nothing to do with your comment.
    So now they can get quality with DP but not with KrowTann, according to your original comment ? ::)
    Man, which is it ? Are you going against your original comment ??
    If "your idea of quality" is so high, it must be higher than those 3 taxis & the judges that judged them. WOW. That's saying something right there. LOL That's funny !
    One last time. Remember your original comment here. Now, in you ALL MIGHTY opinion, can you a taxidermist produce quality using KrowTann or not ?

13. The reason K-tan is hated so much is it gives people the option to their own pickling rather than send it to a tannery....guys like Bill who might do tannning for other people so they feel threatened by the idea of someone being able to do it themselves and save a little money which they can put towards a better form or more tools or whatever they need...you will never be able to tell them anything different because they refuse to see that a formic acid is simpler ti use then other pickle formulas

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I agree Elkie, Bill is just threatened by all the KT users. He knows if they have extra money to buy more tools and stuff, they might do a better job than he does! Formic acid is way easier than other formulas, all you have to do is add the acid to the saltwater and you have yourself a pickle. Hey, wait, I thought we were talking about Krowtann? I'm kind of confused. ???

15. bill@hogheaven

First off Heath You have the quote wrong & in the wrong context. Im not even going to explain it, you are the one with reading conprehension problems. BUT you are right . ANYTHING you say is right. YOU are the most talented taxidermist on this site. YOU are certainly the most brilliant Dermist on the planet. I shall hang on your every pronouncement. YOU know everything. IF I were younger than you I would try to model my entire career after yours. I sincerely apologize for doubting YOU OH GREAT ONE. Now go pat yourself on the back. Im done.

16. TD

Some people will not admit when they're wrong............Even when its been proven .............lol

17. bill@hogheaven

Elkie.....go find your village I hear they are missing their idiot.

18. TD

Its sad when a grown man of your age stoops this low ..........Sort of a reflection of the Character I guess ::) ::) ::).............

19. bill@hogheaven

Yeah Tom ...no social skills whatsoever.

20. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Bill, myabe you should go on "Dancing with the Stars" because you sure are good at dancing around the question about your comment.

Remember this "I think other people using K-tan is good for my business, cause they sure cant match the quality."
    Now tell me how I took that wrong. Pretty plain to me.
    So I guess ALL taxis that use KrowTann cannot match your quality, is that right ? Man, you are missing out, you better enter the Nationals & Worlds !! ;D
    I never said I was a great taxidermist, never will claim that. But thanks for thinking of me that way, you are the first. ;D
    You are the one who said others can't match your quality, not me.
    By your post it says you are older than me but you sure couldn't tell that post. WOW I would have thought that was written by someone ALOT younger than me.
    All I asked was for you to explain to me about your comment which is false. You want to dance around it & not answer it. That's fine with me. You have helped prove my point, thanks for playing.
    I will now go call those 3 taxis & tell them they can't match your quality because they used KrowTann. ::) HAHA
    Now you can take your false statement & run home.