1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan problems

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by TROPHY SHACK, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Guys, I NEVER said KrowTann was the best or only thing to use. Did I once say USE THIS ONLY ? NO.
    Hell, I have used them all at one time, from citric,formic,safty acid, Bascal S(not sure I spelled that right HAHA) etc.
    What do you think I did when I was a beginner. I started out with one, used it for awhile & tried the next. I didn't have to be told, I wanted to learn to use them all.
    I guess liqua tan is wrong for using it its name also, so its misleading too ?
    Before the internet, where do you think all the guys/gals called for questions on citric,formic,safty acid, Bascal S. They called the suppliers or the company that made them. Do you know how many hundreds ,if not a thousand(seemed like it, HAHA)of questions about all of them just myself ? That's just one person, now multiply it across the country.
    That is just my opinion on why there is so many questions on KT. I am sure the internet or this great website would have been around,most of those questions would have been posted here.

2. Twisted.

Twisted. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

KT is simple and it works.
    What else do you want? a hide that jumps out of the tan and mounts itself? LMAO.

3. X2 Cole

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Mike's my bud, I'm just playin.

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

kinda ;)

6. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    But Elk, PLEASE no pictures or you & Mike in any fields together or alone either !! ;D

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Don't know about THOSE people BUT I would have to say from what I have seen there are a LOT of tanneries that don't know how to tan a skin well at all.

Hey it's just like a car mechanic. Some guys can fix more cars with a dime and a hammer than others can with all the tools known to man. It's the OPERATOR not the tools. Taxidermy is the same way.

If you guys don't like Krowtan...or can't use it...why bother to respond to a thread called Krowtan Problems?

It's like me getting on a thread and criticizing your choice of deer forms.

8. verne

verne Well-Known Member

O.K. liqua-tan user`s pickle with KT, brush on your liqua-tan ; KT user`s , use your KT ,then brush on liqua-tan. THE END.

9. I like and trust Micheal P but not that damn much LOL...i dare not bend over in front of the boy ANYWHERE!

10. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Which one of you is the Dominant one ?lol

11. I am not a sloppy party bottom...

12. it is also 2 diffrent acid formulas

13. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Krowtan is EQUAL.............for My needs as a Taxidermist.Sure there are a few that believe they have to have the perfect tan and that's their own prerogative............
    Ill bet there are more Taxidermist, that do their own capes,that are using KT more than any of the other products.The argument is how long it will last and how long the mount will still look good.No one knows and can not say,only assume.I believe it is better than a DP mount as far as shrinkage is concerned and that's mostly what the argument is here.
    The only reason that the KT bashers jumped on this thread in the first place was just because it was about Krowtan,not because anyone said it was a better tan.
    The argument would have never started if it had been left for the Krowtanners to answer and the bashers had stayed away.
    I dont jump in your threads about Tanning to try to tell YOU that KT is better.
    Bottom line is Ive used Liqua tan for years and when I switched to KT I did better and My mounts turned out just as good with less loss..........
    This argument is not with you Tanners anyways,its with other Taxidermist that home tan their own capes...............
    KT is Inferior for what you do but not for what I do..............I'm certainly not going to tell you what method is better for you and that what you use is crap lol
    Im in this business to make money and Krowtan makes me money and it DOES put out a dam nice mount if done proper................

14. Tom,

I couldn't agree more!

15. Amen Tom...amen...

16. I have used every tan out there.

Krowtann will make a soft tan, but its a bit harder to work. The reason I believe is the tanning chemicals in it are in the liquid form and mixed as a liquid. The Krow oil is different too and having tried a varity of tanning oils with Krowtann I can tell you Krow Oil works best with Krowtann.

I even for grins and giggles have done Krowtann with Liqua tan for the oil and made soft leather.

We all know soft leather is all because of the breaking and the oil penetration. I do think a dry powder tan makes for easier breaking.

Tanning takes time and time is money. So if you put your time into the tanning, when you could be mounting and finishing you will certainly make more money by producing more heads out the door.

17. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Exactly. That's what is so strange about the whole thing.

18. Jim thats exactly right....not once have i ever jumped on anyone for not using KT or bashed anyone for using anything else...i have just read some of the posts and offered KT as an alternate solution to only be beaten up on by George,Bill and others...George and I finally came to an understanding that seemed to take a year or so on what my point of using KT was all about.

19. doublelung

doublelung Member

I agree with Tom King. Just think of a beginner doing a pickle type tan and the questions or problems they would have with that. Would they be too dumb to do that process too? I'm a beginner and whats wrong with someone starting out with simple ways of doing something. A majority of us are learning on our own without an instructor next to them to help them every step of the way. So why the hell would you want to spook or discourage anyone from learning taxidermy. Maybe some of you guys are too dumb to use Krowtann. ;D

20. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I like what John C. said best. John forgive me, but I am going to borrow the last line of your statement.

Quote from John: Tanning takes time and time is money. So if you put your time into the tanning, when you could be mounting and finishing you will certainly make more money by producing more heads out the door.

That statement says a mouthfull! John, you know I like ya man, but I couldnt let that one go by!

Its as simple as this. Send your skins to a reputable tannery, and have them correctly tanned, and all is solved!LMAO This way, your skins really get TANNED(not just preserved), and you can look your self in the mirror after the mount goes out the door, and HONESTLY SAY, I DID MY BEST!