1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan problems

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by TROPHY SHACK, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Hudson, I have a legit question for you.
    If I use citric acid or safty acid or formic acid or bascal s w/ liqua tan in my shop to do in house tanning am I still a "hack" because I didn't send it to a commercial tannery ?
    Am I still trying save a dollar by doing it in house and "too cheap" to send to a commercial tannery who might be using the same acid ?
    I am just trying to see where you draw the line ?
    I guess I am trying to see if the problem is KrtowTann or just doing my skins in house, that causes such an uproar.
    Again, its just legit question.
    Now the comment about putting in my brochure or business card about KrowTann. Come on, I have never seen anyone put on their brochure or business card what tan they are using. Whats next listing what glue you use or what earliner or what eye or what septum or what needles I use to sew a cape ??
    Hell, I am going to need a 8" x 11" business card. LOL
    Thanks

2. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

We are not TANNERS.........We are TAXIDERMIST............ so why would we advertise our means of preservation............I don't know about others but I tell those that are interested what I use and I also tell them what YOU say about it then I hand them three pieces of back skin.One with KT,one with Liqua tan and one with Lutan F............No one can tell the difference, they all look like leather.
    Just because a Taxidermist is using a Commercial Tannery doesn't always mean they are getting a superior tan...........YOU guys don't mix your Sh#t right on a batch and Who's to say that mount wont fall apart in ten years............How Do I know YOUR Tanning properly............Because YOU say so..........At least I have control of My capes..........
    If the mount holds up a life time then that's plenty good enough for me and 99% of the customers feel the same way..........And YOU cant say that KT will not last ..........YOU can only assume it ...........just like I can only assume YOUR tanning those capes properly............
    ............I bought a Commercial tanned Elk of a guy years ago and it fell apart when I tried to mount it.............Guess that Tannery screwed up..........
    I,m not saying they all do but it can happen............At least with Krowtan,I always know what I get .............and I have quality control...........
    So Your Opinion is YOUR opinion and that's all it is...........your OPINION lol

3. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Hudson, thanks for responding to my post. But you still didn't answer my question.
    Am I still a cheapskate if I do my capes in house with any of the acids I listed before ?
    I know how you feel about KrowTann but I want your opinion on if I use the other acids in shop.
    Thanks

4. TD

I'm tired of hearing this "Hurting the Industry" BS........(thats a crock and you know it).............Your Industry..........Maybe..........but not the Taxidermy Industry.
    That's like saying Dry Preserving hurts the Taxidermy Industry lol...........
    Whats Narrow minded and self centered is a TANNER telling a TAXIDERMIST whats best for HIS business............
    Judging from your own words ,it seems to me your the one looking for the sauce by trying to convince Taxidermist that Krowtan is crap lol..........
    All beginners have ridiculous amounts of stupid questions about anything............Now....... who is really Narrowminded? LOL
    Krow tann is a good way for beginners to get started and if they feel they need the "real tan" lol...........then they can pursue it further after they get more experience ,without loosing capes by trying to be a tanner at home right away...........

5. Tom that has been the single thought as to why i believed [email protected] kept jumping on my every time i mentioned KT...a tanner that feels threatened...there's nothing threatening about me as i do this soley for myself at home...not looking to go into a commercial business using KT

6. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Elkie....Myself & others jump you because you insist on handing out wrong information to beginners. This has been explained to you several times. I cant type slow enough that you can understand that.
    Lets clear up another thing. WE DO NOT OPERATE A COMMERCIAL TANNERY.
    I agree, you are not threatening. You are a sad, sad case.

7. TD

BS................Any Wrong information that's handed out..........is always corrected.............
    So...............Whats the real reason you jump him ? ..............I would say YOU are the sad case.............
    Only reason you come on a KT thread any ways is so you can cut someone down that uses it................

8. bill@hogheaven

You & Elkie make a good pair.

9. TD

Is that the best you got?
    You started the cut down game and that's all your brain can put together ..........
    A six year old can do better than that...............
    Try the dictionary and maybe you can find another big word to make us think your a smart one ............
    Maybe you need to grow a PAIR lol

10. bill@hogheaven

Just making a statement of fact, no need to add a thing. Are you trying to distance yourself from Elkie? Do you think you are superior to Elkie?

11. TD

No I don't............ but it seems obvious that............. YOU do.............
    Seems your Facts are twisted Lil..........

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

BS...............When Hudson said comparing KT to LT was like comparing apples to oranges, Elkie responded w/ this insightful nugget.
    It was never corrected by you, or any other KT junkie. That was just in this thread, mis-information is all over this site.

13. TD

You can use a number of Acids with Liqua Tan.........You don't have to use Formic Acid...........
    I used Oxalic (WASCO's Acid Crystals) Acid before I switched to Formic Acid..........
    Find me more Cole and Ill correct those too............or.......... you can if you wish...........
    But tell me this............what good does it do to cut a guy down for TRYING to help?
    If you want to police the KT threads , at least add something positive because whether you like it or not,KT is here to stay............

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I would Tom, but then I get accused of being the taxi.net police. My point is the site is full of mis-information, and my idea of "adding something positive" is informing people when the info they are reading is false. No doubt it is here to stay. So are fish stencils and Dan-D-Nosers.

15. TD

Didn't you just tell us KT was just a formic acid pickle? Pick a side. ::) When I pickled w/ formic I rarely checked the pH. It stays stable enough, just mix it right and toss the skins in.
    [/quote]
    Here's one I corrected for you Cole.........
    We all make mistakes..............I know I do............

16. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'm not sure what you are trying to show me? ???

17. TD

You do have to monitor PH on a formic acid bath often..........You can not just throw the cape in and rarely check it........
    A beginner does that and they WILL loose capes............That statement is mis leading ...........Everytime you toss another skin in ,the PH changes.......

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I was responding to the statement that you do not have to monitor KT's pH. I stated that "when I pickled w/ formic I rarely checked the pH." Not that sticking a pc. of paper in a barrel is difficult, but if it was the deal breaker I would still rather pickle w/ formic and use LT over tossing my skins in a cocktail of acids and alum, even if I was out of pH strips. It is my opinion that beginners do not lose capes because of the pH of their pickle (or KT mixture), it is most likely because of the handling the cape receives prior to that step.

19. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I have left "tanneries" for KT.

I never have NEW holes in the hides I tan.

My ears are never blown out or hard as a rock.

I never "lose" any hides.

My hides are done in a reasonable amount of time.

My hides are fleshed evenly, never paper thin in spots or heavy in others.

I have plenty of stretch and my capes FIT.

I have no epidermis loss

all my claws come back.

I have used several tanneries in my 25+ years doing taxidermy and all of them have failed eventually in one or more of those areas.

20. Tom I did not mean to mislead with that statement KT is a formic acid solution with other stuff mixed in but it is true in not having to measure the ph...I did want to stress that point ...all of us KT users know that...one of the better reasons to use it...Thank you for the polite correction...

Jim...testimony like that makes using KT a stronger argument...i have to agree with you on the side of it being less expensive than tanneries...I use tanneries only for rug sized elk, buffalo etc...any capes and deer rugs and smaller mammal skins i use KT for