1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Just Getting Started

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by czykdbcz, Dec 26, 2009.

1. czykdbcz

czykdbcz Artist or just crazy

va
    I have had an interest in taxidermy for years, however I am just getting started or thinking about getting started. Any bit of information would be helpful.
    I am not looking at the moment for a career change but one may never know. Any and all input would be welcome.

2. dwstex38

dwstex38 New Member

Find you a critter that you are interested in mounting and start learning.You will get tons of info from this site itself. Make mistakes and ask questions. Thats the only way you will learn. I have spent countless hours just reading posts on this site and have learned a ton.I started just like you with no clue what i was doing but i learned from my mistakes and still learning everyday. Good luck

3. jbb

jbb New Member

This sight will help you along the way. Go into the tutorials when you find which animal you would like to tackle first, this is very helpful. They have how to dvd's out there on how to mount most anything. Most are well worth the money. some are out dated. Hands on is where you will learn the most, and you will never have enough reference photos to work off of. Good luck.. Start off with something simple.

4. dipper

dipper New Member

Making a career change. From what? If you haven't attempted taxidermy yet, that might be jumping the gun. Make sure you can offer a quality product, before you walk away from any type of career, especially these days. There's so many more considerations than that, but it's one to start with.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

There are pages of reading on this subject in the archive here. Up to the upper right of this page, in the quick link box, click on "Old forums" and search away.

6. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

try you tube as well some good stuff there get a materials list together and a place to do your work start watching videos get lots of live references of the animals you intend to mount make an album so you can look at while you are mounting trying to create the animal good luck and welcome

7. there is some of the best advise that can be given just printed before me . all of those guys nailed it the only thing ill add to it is pashon love the work love what your doing and make very one come alive . it dose take time lots of time mark c

8. lots of time a making money dont happen right away you need lots of practice to provide a quality product for the customer if you plan on changing jobs shadow a taxidermist first to see if you even like it see if you can go in help start skining heads out and go from there this is way i started just dont
    jump the gun and get a bad name as a hack not meaing you will just make sure you have a good product first ,

9. czykdbcz

va
    Thanks for the great input and support I have a good job for now and this is an interest I have had for years and I believe it is time for me to get my feet wet. Until I find some one where I live to take time to help I am afraid I will have lots of questions

10. Learn to use the SEARCH, everything you ever could ask is there under the SEARCH, look in the old forums too.

11. get some videos cd spend your dollares wisely mark c

12. czykdbcz

va
    I have purchased some dvd's and they seem to be pretty good. But again I have lots of questions.
    I guess it is just one of those things you have to kinda jump into.
    Where is a good place to find practice specimens? I have found a few sites but does anyone know of an inexpensive reliable vendor?

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If your State has a local Sportsman's forum, I am sure they have trappers there. I always try to buy local so I can see what I am getting. Buying on line is a gamble most times. I remember a beginner here that had nothing but bad luck with vendors, it is buyer beware on line.

14. thanks for your suport on that Mr T you were refering to my looses wernt yoiu? get r done ive been screwed so meany times i have my own cheer leader team in the world of thief mark c

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

No, it wasn't you.