1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

question on cost vs pricing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by southern hog taxidermy, Dec 28, 2009.

1. i was wondering how yall figure how much you have in a deer head and other mounts i know figure up what you spend and your time and figure it out but im looking for a dollar amount yall have vs what yall charge and profit, i know it depends on the material so just a ruff number is what im looking for and how do yall figure the shipping in the pricing now that the shipping will sink a battle ship.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Nobody,,,,,,, has the same numbers.

Attached Files:

3. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Take some business classes at the local community college.

4. i know how to figure it out but was currious what others cost vs pricing is

5. Tim

Tim Olean,NY

ny
    Heres some reading.Cick on the old forums above,tons of reading..
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/
    type in price to charge for mounting a deer

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Now since you sent me a personal crybaby message about me not giving you what you wanted to hear and calling me names,,, I don't think any answer would do you any good knowing how immature you are.

7. first of all i apoligised cause told you there was not text in the message just the beating a dead horse and that was it i refreshed it and saw the text . and i didnt cry just said if you dint want to answer then dont be an a** but told you was my bad cause of the no text .then you send me back go cry to you mommy ... wasnt crying just looking for answers not smart a**es and when i saw the beating a dead horse with no text thought you was tring be smart ** just let it go no hard feeling sorry . we all hear to learn and get information ,

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The horse beating is for this question being asked several times is all. And there is no accurate answer, because everybodys cost is different. You set your prices to what the market will bare. Set your prices to what you have to have to make money. Even if it is a hobby, don't do it for cheap or cost of materials. Cost differ as some have a wood shack for a shop, while others may have a 30,000 sq foot shop. No heating down south, vs. huge heating bills up north, to many variables go into pricing, everyone is different.

9. more of hobby to me and friends want me mount there stuff and exspect me be cheap and i tell them they dont work for free and i wont either even if it is a hobby and not my main job i produce a quality product and deserve a decent price for my time . i work out of my shed no heating required in florida but a/c a must , all i was looking for is just a round about and thats it ,i understand every one is different and what they use for material is going be different also it was just a round about . they aslo think cause i work at home i should be cheap but tell them i have to run a freezer and lights and a/c and still pay same price for my material that every one else pays .and very thing in search is old and not current prices.

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

T nailed it.
    As far as being a hobby/part-time, charge MORE, afterall that's YOUR time, don't give it away.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

There is an old rule of thumb, to charge 2.5 times more then the cost of materials. That is a start for friends and family. But if you have employees and overhead, and wanted to make money, you will need more then 2.5.

12. so 2.5 times is a good number to cover cost and profit ok ill figure it out see what i come up with thanks

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

That is what I would charge family,,, friends maybe,, but customers, no. I would charge customers more or you will be swamped with lots of work, and little pay.

14. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

lol T that would be a $250 deer mount for me no way am I doing one that cheap. I shoot for 20 dolar and hr wage, and 10% profit

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Perhaps I can make it simpler as to the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM you should charge.

Take the cost of ALL the supplies (including those you stole, scrounged, or just had laying around) and add them all together. Then add 40%. That's how business's work. Most of us take the cost of all our supplies and then count the number of hours we need to do a mount. Those hours will vary by your experience level but they should be logarithmically adjusted. (As you get better, it takes less time, but you charge more per hour as you're supposed to be doing better work). I started out by charging $12 an hour. Right not I think I'm around $40 an hour and if I'm not, I'm going out and raise my price again. (And before you go squawking, my barber charges me $18 for a haircut. He schedules 4 customers per hour. He's making nearly twice as much an hour as I am and if he screws up, his screw up will grow back. Mine won't.)

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Harley, I said it was an OLD rule of thumb. Maybe I should have said, TIME and materials cost x 2.5. LOL

17. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

"stole"? LOL George, only you would've said that. Thanks for the chuckle.

18. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

Dont get haircuts...works for me.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Anyway, once you start,, a point in time will come,,, and it will be in the middle of a pain in the butt job,, when you will say to your self,,,,, "I don't charge enough"..

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You are lucky,,, having your monkey give you haircuts.