1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

5th WT, is it ruined?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ladyarcher726, Dec 28, 2009.

1. ladyarcher726

ladyarcher726 2012: 1st & best of category

This is my 5th whitetail, and my second customer mount. If it was ours I wouldn't care at all, but I'm worried that the damage that I have may cause me to have to remount the whole thing.
    Skinning and tanning went normally, washed and froze it after tanning, thawed and mounted. The lips were very thick (puffy with moisture) and such a pain to tuck that I finally just pinned like crazy. As I was grooming the hair a big spot wiped right off, and my stomach just dropped. I finished the job, I didn't quit, but I did need a break to call a taxidermy buddy to (almost) cry on his shoulder. He has plenty of capes if I need to remount this, but I am quite happy with how it turned out.
    I want to know what I can do, what would you do, with that lip? I do have the hunk of hair, what good that will do me I don't know.

This thing qualifies as a giant squirrel for all the heck it has put me through! The customer did the cutting and when I got it the skull was in, not an inch of neck to try to measure, just the skull! ok, well I measured fine and the hide came together perfectly around the neck for the prefit, but it was a full blown battle to sew the entire length of the back (yup, cut allllll the way down). Ok, I can sew, I dealt wtih it. I did a lot of shimmying of the hide to have enough to cover the back, then the brisket was, well, laughable. The legs were cut off and the brisket was split, and when I finally got things where they are I literally didn't have enough skin in places to wrap around the form! Lots of pins, lots of pins. So I would really rather not have to tear this all apart and start over, if at all possible...? It's a learning experience, every one of them is, and that's good to get a less than perfect cape, I know... all I can say is that I really hope my coyote goes together better than this did! lol!

Here's a quick shot of him from the front.

Yes I realize that the ear butts are way below the bottom of the eye... with all the pulling and moving that I did I'm surprised that the ears are even on the head! lol!
  2. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

Sounds like the cape spoiled.

3. watch it more might slip in next coming days
  4. if it was tanned then shouldn't the skin be a white color and not still pink? You might of not tanned it rite.
  5. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Let it dry completly then talk to tazzymoto about flock.........check out his velvet buck with road rash half the hair on the face was GONE!
  6. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

Sounds like you may have had some acid swelling going on in the lips. and possibly the slip was from the extra moisture in the cape. The slip spot could be fixed if that is the small spot you have at the corner of the mouth. However, I am not sure about the acid swell because It can be neutralized prior to mounting. I think you will get other answers to this post. I hope things work out for you. We all understand what you mean when you said your stomach sank. Sometimes hides just go bad for reasons beyond our control. Hang in there.
  7. ladyarcher726

shoot... thanks for the replies. I know it layed on the garage floor for at least a day before I got the phone call and I told him to freeze it since it was going to be a few days before he got it to me. It was still crisp when I was caping the head off, and I fleshed, turned and salted that same day. My friend told me that he has that happen too, if the deer lays in the field overnight or lays on a garage floor.

So, do I have a progress photo for my album, and a do-over deer to mount? Do I tell the customer or just get the cape and remount? :(

Leopardpaws, I use the Rinehart tanning cream, and I'm always paying close attention to the face and lips, etc, to be sure that I have it all rubbed in well... 1st time this has happened.
  8. RDA

RDA Active Member

easy fix....you can do it a couple of ways both require tweezers and trimmd hair. One way is to use apoxies sculpt as a shallow bed on the slip the press in hair to the apoxie sculpt working from bottom to top. other way would be to use super glue gel applying the hair in the same manner from bottom to top.....you can trim small areas of hair heare and there without affecting the mount- just have to be a little "sneaky"..... ;)
  9. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Hey I remember that tip on a Lion Repair I did that was mounted in 1941! LOL sometimes there is no such thing as a replacement hide! ;)
  10. ladyarcher726

Thanks RDA! I may just try that, what do I have to lose at this point? I will tell the customer as he is a friend as well, and I'll give him the option that if he is not happy with it, or if he would have more slipping problems later on that I'll remount it for him.
    (hehe, he's the same one that brought me that black squirrel that he smoked with a .270! seems like I just can't do justice to anything that he brings me!)
  11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

That's no big deal at all. I've done it much like Ron suggest for years, though I never try to clip it to the exact lenght. I glue the area with epoxy and then cut fingertips full of hair and set it into the epoxy. Once set, I drag a tissue across the surface to get the hair going in the right direction and let it cure. THEN I clip the lengths of hair to match. That's an easy fix right there.
  12. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

does anyone have the thread on the flocking?? I have a buck that I just did and it was hit by a truck.........small road rash under the chin and its all missing.....the hair that is.
  13. RDA

RDA Active Member

just an opinion, but flocking in general is a messy and insufficient means to the end.....
  14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I agree Ron. It's haphazard at best and most times you end up with clumps of flocking giving an unnatural appearance. Even the worst "hair transplant" looks realistic as it's HAIR.
  15. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I thought that too Ron untill I saw Tazzy's post........ I know he has the electrostatic gun and he had to special order the flock to fix the face, I don't know how well it would work for your average joe though.
  16. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,171160.0.html
  17. RDA

RDA Active Member

In that instance, flocking was a good answer....the summer hair being toooooo ssssmalll!! but for normal fixes with normal length hair- nothing like the real hair..... :)
  18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

RDA has the right idea for a repair. Definitely no need to remount. BTW, I think it looks fantastic for a 5th mount!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. ladyarcher726

ok, WOW! where's the tutorial for THAT fix?!?! That short haired cape is so pretty in that you can see the muscle detail on the form. The capes I work with are sooo thick and long that it's hard to see the wrinkles! (no wrinkles on mine tho, not enough hide to mount it as it was!).
    Thank you everybody for your replies, and I look forward to more!
    Thanks Cole! :)
  20. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I totally agree......when I originally mentioned the flocking, that post was stuck in my head for some reason, I have never had to implant hair on a deer YET yet being the key word LOL , In her case I would have just untucked the lips cut it out and whipped in a few stitches while it was on the form and blended with epoxy and paint