1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rick Krane smallmouth video.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by KAMoHunter, Dec 29, 2009.

1. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

Got the Rick Krane smallmouth skin mount video the other day cuz i had one of my own to do and i wanted to try it. i've made ith through step one with the pencils and i have to say what and amazing differnce you can already see iun the product. i can't wait to see what the finished thing loks like. hope to finish it up tonight. for those of you looking to learn how to do fish the right way.... this and im sure the rest of his videos are a must!!!!

2. Re: rick Krane small mouth video.

Hey KAMoHunter! Does the video cover more than just the painting? I'm also interested in how Rick carves his bodies. I've been thinking about buying that video, but was holding off because I didn't know just what was in it. After reading what you wrote I might just buy it for the painting aspect alone. Thanks for the input. George

3. KAMoHunter

Re: rick Krane small mouth video.

nope just painting of the body and the eyes and eye set.

4. Re: rick Krane small mouth video.

Anything by Rick is WELL worth the investment!His latest series is the best yet.(he is filming again this week).The DVD'S done w/ Kastaway Kullis are fine, However,This new series is as close to being in Rick's shop as you can get without one on one lessons.EXELENT close ups and angles that provide ample time to absorb the info presented.These new DVD'S are geared mostly toward eye set and painting.Perhapps with enough prodding he will do some on carving a body, and anatomy.

5. thunder

thunder New Member

kamo i got that dvd last year now dont watch to much of that video as we will both be at the same convention come spring ;D ;)

6. KAMoHunter

dont worry im not bringing a smallmouth. i still dont know what i am bringing yet.

and here's the final product. a big thanks to Rick for an outstanding Video!!! now if i can just learn how to photograph fish without the glare i'll be good to go.

[​IMG]

7. thunder

thunder New Member

kamo it looks good the eye needs to have some red in it but the fish is nice

8. KAMoHunter

the eye has plenty of red in it, you just can't see it in the photo

9. Re: rick Krane small mouth video.

If you do your photography outside ,under inderect sunlight W/O a flash ,you should get better results.

10. Re: rick Krane small mouth video.

does anyone have a list of the new dvds that might decide which of the old ones to buy and which ones to wait for

11. Rick has Several DVD's in production at this time.I'm not positive about the entire list,but i believe his new series covers everything in the earlier sieries and then some. I do know the new series has MUCH better angles and longer holds on the close up shots .Also, Rick has developed a few new techniques during the course of filming this new series.The first two DVD's will be available in the next few weeks,(small mouth and walleye?).I'll try to get an exact list today.Also, although it will be a while , Rick has plans for another series ,directed specificaly towards anatomyand carving your own bodies ect.

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Wait a minute here. I have few of the originals done by Kulis that were absolutely fantastic. I got them for one reason and one reason only and that's because everyone raved about them saying how awesome they were, and I have to say I agree with them. They WERE awesome. So what could make these newer DVDs "better"?
    I watched the Youtube video of Rick painting an eye with the new video people and I have to say I wasn't impressed.

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

And just to explain myself here, I am in NO WAY slamming Rick, or anybody else here. I just want to make sure I don't waste any money on these if they don't compare to the ones done with Kulis.

14. Bob, I'm not sure what part of my last post wasn't self explanitory.The only thing i could ad is that there will be several species that werent covered in the Kastaway colection.

15. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I wasn't trying to sound like a prick Ed. I was just asking a question.

16. Bob, I know you werent, neither was I,(some days i just come of that way). :p .

17. i just bought the walleye seminar dvds from the pta convention seminar a couple years ago is the new dvds teach different methods or just the same with better recording thanks for the info

18. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

I’m sorry the response on my behalf hasn’t come sooner. I just can not find the time to get on here when I would like due to the work schedule we keep here. I certainly wouldn’t want a post to take too much space up due to questions or non response, so I will post this and I hope it answers some questions for those interested.

I think anyone who has had the opportunity to know me understands that I have devoted my life for over 20 years to the betterment of taxidermy. It is not a just a hobby but a business and a life long love and passion for me that I have made the commitment to helping out others and share what I can with you for the intention of making this work you and I do more fun and meaningfully enjoyable!

I try my hardest not to ever get in the “clicky controversy stuff “ that surrounds some folks some times on here and I know first hand which I learned as a judge for nearly 20 years, if you don’t in some cases give out the best ribbons to everyone - sometimes there are those who won’t be happy with you trying to help them get better. I do my best to help as many folks out as I can and for those who I have helped and value what I have done to make this effort in the industry better then I am glad I could be of help! I write this only as I have received several phone call with folks trying to take sides on the DVD issue regarding this or that and I want to state this from the bottom of my heart that there is no need for any of it!

I will be more then happy to talk to you or any one about the new DVDs and what is different about them as they are completed. If you would like to write me at my personal email or give a call. As far as the New DVDs I didn’t want to write to much about them until they come available as for obvious reason this make more sense! In the new DVDs I really wanted to address an issue that was a huge concern for me regarding the older ones.

I teach fish taxidermy and as I had never done filming before Mr. Kulis’ project, which was very good, I wanted to be able to be seen and teach as I do here at Anglers Artistry! Joe and I talk about this for some time, as I was reluctant to do so. I was not in control of the setting and the structure or format of how this was shot or edited. When I did the old ones for Joe they were for Joe and were under his direction for format and content. The DVDs came out very good as I mentioned I just wanted them to be as I teach and get the feel of a workshop here. Joe is a business an and a very good one and as in business the bottom line if king. I was never under any illusion of getting rich however I wanted it to be more like what I do here and not a DVD on fish painting and that’s is all there is to this question on why am I doing new DVDs.

I did not do this to repeat efforts of make the same fish the same way by any stretch I did these new DVDs to introduce new techniques and share fish we do here at the studio long with giving a feel of being here for a one on one workshop of your own! I tried about a year ago to get this project off the ground with another company however it didn’t pan out. So I took time to really research the effort I wanted to make for you so it can be the best it could possibly be as I don’t intend to nor wish to make DVDs for fun and profit but for the benefit of other like me who wish to learn and work hard to enjoy their efforts while getting better!!

I guess some folks think that there is a ton on money in making DVDs or it makes some one a name. I was Rick before I did DVDs and I still am Rick who does fish taxidermy and teaches. I know from learning at Mr. Kulis’ that this is far harder work then I could ever do to make DVDs so I hired a very good production company who does this for a living to produce and edit the New Anglers Artistry DVDs. It comes out of my pocket as it should to be in control of how and what they will be as the end result and I don’t know if I will ever see profit of any of them however I know that they will be what I wanted from the beginning and they are done for you!

Let me give you a brief over view if I may.
    These DVD are not duplicates of the other DVDs they are different in every way I could make them for you as far as a very intimate class room instruction DVD.
    I did this project with new techniques and in the way I teach here so that you will experience the workshop feel in your own home.
    There is far more information and lots and lots of new techniques I came up that you will enjoy and find simple to reproduce that will make the painting process much more simplified as I am under the control of the what is being filmed an shown as well as edited.

Again I didn’t do the New DVDS so you would have to just buy new ones if you already have the older ones I did for Mr Kulis. I never wanted to create a situation to compete for information against my self that way these are very different and much more intimate as you would be here with me in the Anglers Artistry workshop not in a studio setting. These DVDs are for those whop want a workshop feel and have me as a one on one instructor so you could see how I teach here and to give you new and updated techniques and information since the past several year since the Kulis DVDs!

As I mentioned I want to share more of what and how I teach here to let folks who don't have the opportunity to come here to my business for a private one to one work shop have their own workshop on a DVD in the comfort of their home. It is a great deal of my own money to film and to edit all of this to make a project like this happen so I want it to be successful for you as well and not a waste of your time.

A big extra added feature is there is also a big bonus DVD that comes with all the DVDs but at this time this is all I will say about this information until final editing is complete as good business is to wait before something is done then be accurate not just shoving information out there. You will love the bonus DVD it is a value in and of itself that is worth far more then the cost alone! I want you to have value and I want it to exceed your value of the cost! At this point, the first 2 will be ready but until they are ready I will not post any thing until this time. You can call or write as I mentioned previously.

The Kulis DVDs comparison question you raised, Joe is a great man and I have nothing but the best regards for Joe personally and publicly and his DVD project we did several years ago. It just wasn’t a good fit for me to continue to do the projects for Joe as it did affect my teaching work and this was always a concern for me.

As far as the YouTube spot Ken Edwards wanted done for the Still Life Eyes, I'm sorry if it was found it to be "unimpressive" to some but I hope some did get a little useful information from this tutorial.

This is the best advice I could give any one who wants to do this for a living. Work hard and give the best you have to give!!!!

I hope you enjoy the New DVDs! Here are a few pictures of the following which have been filmed.

Happy New Year to your family.

Thank you again for your interest in the work I do as a Instructor and as a Fish Taxidermist! I give you my best!
    You're Friend
    Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry

Steelhead Reproduction
    [​IMG]

Reproduction Brook Trout
    [​IMG]

Black Crappie Reproduction
    [​IMG]

Skin Mount Large Mouth Bass
    [​IMG]

Brown Trout Reproduction
    [​IMG]

Walleye Reproduction
    [​IMG]

Largemouth Bass Reproduction
    [​IMG]

Small Mouth Bass Reproduction
    [​IMG]

Red Fish Skin Mount
    [​IMG]

Skin Mount Brown Trout
    [​IMG]

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry
    312 Chesterfield Road
    Hinsdale, New Hampshire 03451
    Office 603-336-7296
    Email [email protected]
    Web www.anglersartistry.com

19. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Rick.....Amazing!

20. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

Thank you Rick for coming on here and letting everyone know the difference between you "Old" DVD's and you new DVD's.

I for one am ecstatic that you are making new DVD's with more information on it. You can bet I will be purchasing a few. I enjoy you personality and admire you craftsmanship.

I did notice a difference in your tutorial on painting the fish eyes, I enjoyed both ways of doing it. I have created a "hybrid" method of painting them which suits my needs.