1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another " he cut the head off " thread. What a shame!!!!!! 18 pt (pics)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by trapper jeff, Dec 29, 2009.

1. NDNHunter

NDNHunter 2007 World Chamionships, Reno

Meat lockers are notorious for cutting up big capes also, I would have no problem at all taking that deer head in as long as it's tagged.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I agree Perry, a legal tag is a must.

3. trapper jeff

trapper jeff New Member

I don't believe it was poached at all, but i do see where one could think that... It was brought to me because
    of another customer recommendation.( I love it when that happens) ;D lol! It came in with all the tags/info I needed
    so I assume it was legally taken like all aother deer that came in so far. It was just a dumb move by an new hunter,but i'm
    still scratching my head, What was he thinking???

4. Badboy 28

Badboy 28 New Member

not to hi-jack but what do you guys get for replacement capes for something like that ?

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It all depends,, if you have to go and buy one, or you have had a cape land in your lap for free, before hand.
    The taxidermist has discretion to cut a deal, or sock it to 'em. A extra large cape may go for $150 raw or tanned depending where you find it.
    Finding a free cape and tanning it your self, just for that one day when you get that short cape customer, can make you a hero at the right price.

6. That is a cool looking deer for sure and the cape you have should help show it off and make a little more money for the spare cape.

7. what a shame, i just got in a gold medal roe buck cut the same way.. no neck mounts here''

8. trapper jeff

trapper jeff New Member

I charged him $150.00 for a 25'' cape which i felt was a better than average deal. I really wanted to mount this deer and the cape was free. Anytime i can make 100% profit on a cape I 'll jump on it! ;D

9. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

He got a deal at $125 for a 25" cape. I get around $150 for a 17" to 18" average replacement cape here in NC.

10. Badboy 28

Badboy 28 New Member

wow thanks guys
    guess i did alright on my ontario buck last year , got a cape for free !
    deer hung for 3 days (never got above 40 degrees) but n the way home (30 hours) it rained solid and was 60 degrees :(
    what a waste

11. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

that buck is great, he's paying for his mistake

12. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

What a brute, and what shame.

13. shammy

shammy New Member

He is a big one for sure.

14. wow that is a nice deer sucks for the cape

15. Brandon S

Brandon S New Member

What a shame. Some things i dont understand, I too had a really nice typical 8 pt brought in, measured 155, the guy mentioned on the phone he may have cut it up to high, well he cut it all the way up to the white patch on the neck. ???

16. turkeyhunter72

turkeyhunter72 New Member

i had a guy last week bring one in like that the coyotes had eaten because he couldnt find it til the next afternoon. anyways he wanted me to "sew some xtra hair to it"!!

17. Alan B

Alan B Member

I had the exact same thing on a Mule deer buck this year it ended up BC score of 186 ???
    I think with the economy the way it is the initial response at the time of the hunt is "I can't afford to mount it" but after a couple of people look at it and all the " you should have mounted that" comments and they have a little time to think about it they want to have it mounted so they bring them in then ....What a great whitetail glad to see the customer opted for a replacement cape to do that beaut justice ;D

18. bw

bw New Member

Notice it's NOT tagged.

19. NDNHunter

NDNHunter 2007 World Chamionships, Reno

:eek: :eek: Nice buck!!!!

20. pjstaxidermy

pjstaxidermy New Member

Holy Smokes! What a beauty!!! I always "shudder" when they say "don't worry I took it to the butcher and they know what they are doing"! YEP it's usually BUTCHERED!!! Already doing one of them and they not only lied about having it in the "freezer" it smelled of cat pee! peeewhew. P.J.'s Taxidermy.