1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Apoxie sculpt hands

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by redwolf, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Not to the point you have to stop and hook up the nebulizer LOL

2. Foaming freaks me out a little too...I wear a respirator with carbon filtration...is that ok or is there something better...I use it when mixing and pouring then I leave for about 15 min and don't use one once the foam is hard....is it safe to breath the air at that point...I also use it when rasping or shaping it. The other night I looked at my gloves and it looked like glass (silica) stuck all over them from the static, I don't want that stuff in my lungs.

3. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

I had the same thing happen to me the first few times I used it. Not only that but it's hell to wash off of your hands. I wear gloves now when using it.

4. Allergic reaction to the resins or hardeners. Apoxie Sculpt is the lest reactive of all of them. Like many allergic reactions you body can only take so much of a certain substance.. So use nitrile gloves for a few months.. Harbor Freight has a good buy on them.

Some of the compounds in the urethane's and plastic will start building up in your system, especially the liver.. Its going to get worse unless you protect yourself.

Even the two part gloss paint fish guys use is going to cause problems its a isocyanide and will kill red blood cells and eventually the liver.

5. duckfeathers

duckfeathers New Member

After years of working without gloves I got dermatitis and my fingers cracked up and bled. Someone on here answered my post some years ago and advised taking milk thistle and vitamin B capsules.
    After about six months it worked. It has worked so well that lately I've been not wearing gloves (Stupid, real stupid). For a temporary relief I found the 2.5 % Hydrocortisone Valerate and bandages would heal the bleeding cracks in a day..... Yes it can get nasty. Pain, the fire itch and blood on everything you touch. Take care and hope you get past dermatitis.............. And yes my ungloved pinky finger is the best modeling tool I ever had.

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

My hands aren't too bad this morning (just a little burn, but still rashed) but I guess at some point I must have touched my face because both eyes are itchy. Like Plaisance said, it's hard to wash off your hands so even though I know I didn't touch my face when I was working with it, it still got me.
    NEVER again will I use that stuff without wearing gloves.

7. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Glad your feeling better Bob. If you recall a few months back, I got something called hide handlers disease. At least thats what * called it. Anyway, that chit was nasty. Shots and pills and I finally shook it. However, you know how things go in the bedroom........................, my wife got a terrible infection from me. You know, you go to the potty and touch yourself, hold on with both hands, LOL, have a romp with the wife and HELLO! Anyway, just warning you that it took us months to get rid of tha bacteria. Just saying so you don't pass it along in case it's something a little more than what SHE may want!! We work with DEAD things. We talk about the nasty's of skinning, fleshing, gutting and ect., but seriously, it can become a little more serious than we want or expected. So with that said..............WEAR THE [expletive deleted]ING GLOVES!!!!!! And wash your hands with antibacteria soap BEFORE playing with the MRS. , or YOURSELF!!! I sure hope I said that loud enuf for everyone to hear me.

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Actually Tim ::) I wasn't gonna mention it, BUT the other day I THOUGHT i washed my hands really good before I went PEE PEE :D
    Evidently I hadn't because the hooter got the same thing as my hands. First came the itch, then the burn and rash but it went away.
    THANK GOD it went away fast, but the short time I had it sucked ROYALLY.
    I don't know why the all of a sudden reaction I'm having but I know now to wear the gloves. And not just with apoxie sculpt, but everything.

9. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

THANK GOD, but the short time I had it sucked..................ROYALLY :eek:
    must have cleaned it off!! ;) ::)

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

LMAO

11. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

I'm allergic to apoxie, and latex. If I touch the stuff my eyes swell up like I just got the crap kicked out of me in a cage fight. LOL

I started using nitrile gloves and everything is good. ;)

12. D.Taximan

D.Taximan Member

My eyes get itchy when I use Apoxy Sculpt.

13. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

For years I worked with apoxie sculpt with my bare hands. Then all of a sudden, my fingers started peeling really bad .. multiple layers, to the point where it was raw skin. It seemed to get worse after working with the apoxie so I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down to that. I now wear gloves at ALL TIMES in the shop, no matter what I'm working on.. haven't had any issues in a long time.

14. KaiYoDei

KaiYoDei New Member

NJ
    i was told to use gloves when mixing, either by the canister or people OL.

15. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I for the most part wear gloves when playing with the apoxie sculpt, or mostly all game now.. foam, bondo etc..

here is my issue..I have had this rash on both of the tops of my forearms wrist and 5-6" up... for the past 4 years.. Looks like poison ivy.. kinda... small clear fluid blister things that itch like crazy.. I scratch them all the time..thenthey get infected and leave red sores.. Sweeeet... Been getting the runaround from the PA's, try this, try that, try this.. nothing.. Last month I finally got to see a dermatologist in the AFB, they took skin and tissue samples, the tests came back and they dont know what it is other than an infected sore that has been repeadedly itched.. .. now I am on a steroid cream I apply 2 ties a day and take a break onthe weekends.. I dont think its working.. as i am always getting slapped for scratching and not even knowing I am doing it...So last week I go back and the asian dermatologist. which gave me a shot in the @ss this time with some steroid shot.. and some pills to stop the itch.. We'll see I guess in another month, it's pretty frustrating... Urgggggggg

16. a7d1

a7d1 New Member

You might want to try "Bag Balm", its a veterinary medicine for cows udders and the like. Works wonders on hands and other rashy areas. You can get it at Agway most of the time. I developed a rashy ness to aluminum sulfate solution and it took care of it pretty quick. I hate wearing gloves but these days its the better thing to do.

17. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

It's almost gone and healed up now. It's just a dry skin patch on both hands. It wont happen again, I guarantee that. lol

18. wildart

wildart New Member

after many years of not wearing gloves, my fingers were so cracked and bleeding, that i went to a dermatologist. he prescribed clobetastol propionate cream 0.05%. after a few days it began to work and solved the problem as long as i wear gloves. bob