1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

400 lb deer?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wayne R, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Anyone have any info on this? It came in as a 400 lb deer taken in Maine.

[​IMG]

2. WOW!!!! What a giant!!!

3. OMG! :eek: That would break the Maine record. Haven't heard anything myself, can't wait to hear if it's real or not.

4. Now thats a lot of deer meat!

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Well I guess that ends the debates on what state has the biggest deer lol

6. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

If'n I had my new computer, and it was loaded with photo programs, I could make him 500 pounds for you.

Score those antlers, and that guy's right hand.

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

That's what I was thinkin' too Glen.

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

http://www.maine.gov/IFW/wildlife/species/deer/index.htm

Maine is home to one of the largest of the 30 recognized subspecies of white-tailed deer. After attaining maturity at age five, our bucks can reach record live weights of nearly 400 lbs.

9. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

It looks bloated to me. If it hasn't been altered by a computer. I'd say it has health issues. Water retention. Or other health problems. Not sure I'd eat it..

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

The bloating must of effected the antlers too :D

11. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

Where is the shot wound?Zero blood anywhere?Looks like photo shop

12. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

More likely camera angle and subject placement , than photoshop. Like that supposedly huge wolf photo a while back. I can make my yellow lab look like e is 200lbs without altering the image.

PB

13. I don't know if it is real or not. But if it is how in the heck does an animal with that much gear on its head run through the woods with out knocking itself or everyting down. Wow what a bruiser

14. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

A fish eye lens will do that!

15. Could be a darted deer from a ranch as well. I have seen it many times here in FL, land of the tiny deer, and they will go beyond 300lbs. Seems to me that if this were a free range animal we would have a story to go with it and it would make news in the hunting world. My we are all so skeptical aren't we. :D ::)

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's photoshopped IMO. The guys head looks too small for the body. The size of his hand (as Glen noted) is NOT in balance with his body.

And Bob, Maine has some big deer, no argument, but don't buy into that bulls hit they put on their website. Those deer are FEW and damned FAR between. Go to Alberta or Northern Saskatchewan, even Manitoba and see deer like are not uncommon either. And if I'm not mistaken, the largest deer ever recorded came from Minnesota in 1926 that field dressed 402 and estimated by biologists to have tipped the scales at 511 pounds live weight. That's the biggest "official" weight recorded to date.

Good point Dennis

17. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Ever use a fish-eye lens? It would not just make the body look huge it would make the head and the guy, as well as its rear end look out of proportionately small. I'd say those antlers are not distorted small. The image is even - front to back.

What is it with you people? You can't kill anything that big so it MUST be photoshopped. Jesus! No blood it must be photoshopped! Man, if it doesn't fit into your narrow little world it must be photoshopped. ::) What a bunch of photo experts! Not!

That is an impressive freak of a Deer! Something anyone would be proud of. Well, then ... it must be photoshopped! Oye!! :eek:

John.

18. John, I would love to be able to believe everything I see on the internet but more often than not we are left feeling silly when things are not what they seem. If it were not for all the bad apples thrown our way every year, we would all have apple pie. ;)

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

John, I want you to try a little test. Take your LEFT hand and encircle your thumb and forefinger. Keep them about ONE INCH from touching and then measure that circumference.

Humor me now.

Now look closely at the "hunter's" left hand on the left beam of that antler. Can you see the tip of his thumb and his forefinger like the rest of us can? Well, guess what, that beam can't be much over 7 or 8 inches in circumference. Now in comparison to the hunter, the rack seems to be humongous, but unless he has fingers longer than my xxl hands, somethings rotten in Denmark.

20. I know some people with huge hands and huge feet.

I wear a 14 shoe in most and sometimes do to the last the shoes were built on its a 15.

As for people with small heads and large extremities. my brother looks like the guy where the voodoo witch doctor shinked his head yet he is 6 feet tall and had huge hands and feet.

I agree with John B on this one.

Its a huge deer and maybe a pen feed deer at that.