1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

400 lb deer?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wayne R, Jan 2, 2010.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

No one ever SAID it wasn't a big deer, however, you two have missed the point entirely. IF that deer was as large IN COMPARISON to the man behind it who probably weighs in or near 200 pounds, the deer would weigh in around a half a ton. You guys are starting to sound like Rhasputin with believing everything you see on the internet. This picture is no different from that hogzilla fiasco a couple years back.

2. Or this hog. ::) It must be real!

[​IMG]

3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

LOL that Hogzilla was exactly what I was thinking about when reading this post. Looks to me loke a huge deer that was photo shopped into Deerzilla! Id sure let the steam out of that buck if I saw him though!

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

LMAO!! Stop pickin on the poor kid :D :D

5. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Yes I have, which is why I said that!!!

6. I hunt Northern Maine every year up in Houlton, ludlow areas. Years past I hunted the North East Carry and have seen some GIANT whitetails in all these areas. I personally have not been fortunate to take one over two hundred lbs yet from the Northern woods. It's a fantastic place to hunt, but EXTREMELY hard hunting!! The past couple winters have wiped out over half the population of whitetail. We are seeing fewer sightings of deer now and without snow to track your left to try your luck out of a treestand or getting lucky to jump one up still hunting.
    Back in I believe 1955 Horace Hinckley shot what is supposed to be the largest DRESSED bodyweight whitetail out of Maine weighing in at 355lbs! I believe the largest bodyweight whitetail in the world was shot in 1926 in Minnesota by Carl Lenandor weighing in at 402lbs DRESSED!!!!!!!
    There are some massive weight animals up in the Maine woods that are not ranch animals, you just got be lucky enough to find the track from him and have the mindset to keep on him till you get the shot! This is a beautiful animal, hope it's real.

7. I'm in Maine and have lived in Maine most of my life and I never heard of a deer being shot that was that big, but when I was a kid a 300 pounder was pretty common most anywhere in Maine, but that's not the case today, not even close!!! Today, you're very lucky to shoot a 200 pounder, and that's only in the middle of the rut season when the bucks get crazy and stupid, lol. BUT, I know up in the big isolated allagash regions, way way up in the northwestern boonies of Maine not very far from the Canadian border in Aroostook County, they say that 300 plus deer still exist and some even die of old age and some haven't even seen humans. I know that for a fact because my father and a few of my uncles found an 18 pointed dead deep in a moose bog near there and they said he may of died of a gun shoot wound, (s), or even of old age..? His rack was massive and thick and his big bone structure was big enough to of supported a huge deer... So, I donno guys, I want to believe it, but, this 400 plus pounder that they say was killed in Maine is possible, yet, in this day of age totally unlikely and unknown by most of we Mainers... So, unless I hear different, I'd say this is a hoax, but if my sources, and the Maine State game wardens, or State Biologist tell me different, I'll be sure to let you guys know...

8. That is a giant deer but I think there is something missing about the story it would of been in the headlines and its not.

9. wideerguy9

wideerguy9 New Member

This is actually a HF deer taken on a hunting preserve in Central WI. They have huge antlered deer, they also had the largest deer in the world there as a breeder buck, but died because of an infection that it got in velvet. He is the link to their website, this deer is in the trophy gallery for the 2009 season, same pic as this one. Hope this helped solve the mystery.
    http://www.wildernesswhitetails.com/

10. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    i have been looking all morning for that link,
    i saw that picture on a gamefarm and for the life of me could not find that website.
    thanks

11. And there you have it. Hate to say it John ( Lord Rusty ) but you now see why these huge animals are looked at sideways so often. ;)

12. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

It looks like a toad! But in this day of photo shop its so hard to tell whats legit.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You talking about Bailey ???

14. is that rick carter in the picture...lol

15. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Pffttt! We already knew it was real, people can't make stuff like that up.

Attached Files:

16. NE CO HHT

NE CO HHT New Member

Not so fast, in late October or early November this year there was a deer shot near Granby, CO with a 59 inch spread...I've seen the picture personally, but have been unable to find information on the web about it. However, I believe it to be true as the picture was sent to one of my superiors at work from his best friend that lives in that area that knows the guy personally. I'll try to get a copy of the picture and post it for all to see, I just haven't been able to find anything on it.

17. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Thank you wideerguy9.

18. LMAO! Good stuff widedeerguy. At least we know it wasn't photoshopped now. That thing is still a freak of nature no matter how you look at it! Looks like some of us that were SURE it was photoshopped better start sharpening those skills a little more lol. jk

19. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Not so fast, Jared. We haven't had a Supreme Court ruling yet.

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jared, "photoshopped" has now become part of American lexicon for any types of embellishments to photographs (Photoshop is a registered trademark that's been confiscated like "Scotch tape", "cellophane", and "xerox" ). Playing games with lenses and depth of field works into that category just like Dennis was saying.