1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

400 lb deer?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wayne R, Jan 2, 2010.

1. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Buxx...I had to laugh at your post.

Can't we all be realistic? Killing a Whitetail Buck...even a nice one isn't rocket science!

I hunted Montana archery this year, and it may as well been a high fence hunt. Saw 8-10 bucks every night on an alfalfa field.

Killed one just 110 inches on the second evening...had 4 other bucks come through before him.

I never hunted this place before...and I'm a very average Podunk hunter/kiiller. I'd say the only advantage I have over some other guys, is I can actually hit what I shoot at. And take pride in that.

High fence is virtually no different than many "highly managed" lands around the US. Maybe not 200" deer but I have friends that kill 135-150 bucks every year archery and gun. They watch these deer year to year from their house, and go shoot them....Poor, Poor deer.

Whatever.... :D

Jim

2. a7d1

a7d1 New Member

Whether or not the deer is real I can only speculate. As an FYI however, there has been a deer shot in Maine I believe it was in the very early 60's that weighed in at 409 lbs. I believe the gentleman was hunting with his wife at the time, she shot a nice 8 pt and after the shot the 409 pounder stood up in front of her husband. If I am not mistaken I believe his last name was Hinkley.

3. chongo

chongo Member

The Hinckley deer dressed at 355. It is a great hunting story in itself, in Outdoor Life and the Outdoor Life hunting book that came out in the 1970's. There was a picture of him standing by the hanging deer. Probably could find it online somewhere. Hinckley mentioned that he heard of a deer that dressed 358 in "the Rainy River country of Ontario" that was killed in the same era, but it was just a rumor.

4. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

If you look at his right hand, his actual hand doesn't appear to be touching the antlers, and my son pointed out his thumb is longer than his index finger.... just sayin ;D

5. I get a kick out of the people that don't read all the posts on here first before they reply lol.

6. buxxx

buxxx New Member

Well I see I stirred the pot a little here. By the way you spelled " embeciles" wrong. lol So sorry I have upset you. Just a quick background of myself. Yes I am a taxidermist. Yes I have mounted animals from game farms, so called hunting ranches,etc... In fact I have sat and waited behind the fence to hear the gunshot so I could go and skin the "mighty hunters" deer for him( took all of 5 minutes after the corn was put out). I am a hunter and believe that all hunting should be accepted but this is not hunting. There is a difference. Many people are "on the fence" as far as accepting hunting . Most can accept an individual scouting, tracking, sitting, etc... in a fair chase situation. Now show these same people an animal that is half tame and has no chance of fleeing from the shooter(not hunter) and you've just created a person who thinks all hunters are paying to shoot animals behind a fence. I suppose you think snagging fish out of a wash tub is fishing also. WHY DON'T YOU THINK B&C,P&Y ETC.... WON'T ACCEPT HIGH FENCED ANIMALS. BECAUSE IT'S NOT HUNTING. As far as the rich boy who shot this animal . Plain and simple , he bought the animal and didn't hunt it. He can strut around in front of his rich buddies for a while. WHOOPIE FRICKEN DO!!!!!!! He must be so proud and rewarded after spending days or maybe years hunting this fine animal. Hopefully they have a pheasant farm down the road with all their wings clipped so he can whack his limit of those cuz it's probably too hard to hit them on the wing. Just my opinion guys!

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I spelled "embeciles" exactly right, it is a slight to another moron who frequented this forum. If your MORAL obligation towards high fence hunting were truly there you would not have "waited behind the fence to hear the gunshot so I could go and skin the "mighty hunters" deer for him". you would have refused the job. Point being, everybody has a price. You do when it comes whether you are truly against it (high fences) when you accept that animal to mount for money. Most vegetarians would not eat a pork chop for $500, but you would mount a high fence deer for something in that area. Hmmmmm, most vegetarian have more ethical standards in their beliefs than you do.

You seem to have a real grudge against rich people.....but you accept their money.....wow, everybody should follow you on your "moral" crusade against high fences. This world can always use another hypocrite ::)

8. deerhunt1985

deerhunt1985 Only dead fish go with the flow

MP isnt it past your bedtime?LOL

9. michael p.

Yeah, had a looong day. Lots of skinning and then had to drive over to Austin for some hides tonight after work......just taking a sanity break :) LOL

10. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

are you serious? you know this IS the internet( Al Gores invention) its obvious that the pic has bee altered.

11. buxxx

buxxx New Member

12. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    Look at his right thumb. You can see it on both sides of the rack it has to be about 8" long

13. buxxx

buxxx New Member

According to the dictionary and my spell check it should be spelled with an i at the beginning. I guess it would be like me calling you stewwpidd. lol You seem like a very nice person. Let's see you've called me a hypocrite,moron, "embacile" imbecile lol Now I dew feel sttewwppid.

14. buxxx

buxxx New Member

No grudge against rich people. Most wealthy people I know worked very hard for what they have. Just have a problem with guys that shoot a buck like that and put it all over the net . I f you bow that low to kill an animal in a fence or pen be discreet about it. You did nothing that involved any skill. It is not a trophy because of the way you took the animal. I did mount the animal for these people as it is within the law. No it was not up to my moral standards. It only adds fuel to the antis and it ends up being televised to millions of people . So please chill out a little. We don't agree on this issue and that's fine. It is controversial even among the hunting public. Have a good day my friend!!!!!!

15. michael p.

buxxx, I may owe you an appoligy on this issue for letting my emotions get in front of my fingers.

But, here's the deal. When you say the things that you did about high fences those words are taken by the anti's and used against us. It is a war & you in a way are comforting the enemy. Right now in Texas behind high fence there are more scimitar oryx in Kerr & Gillespe counties here in Texas than there are in all of central Niger and Chad, BUT now they are trying to put them on the endangered species list & ban their hunting. All this wildlife conservation effort will be wiped out with the swipe of a beuracratic pen & the words of our very own Taxidermist's and hunters who do not truly comprehend the benefits of their being are giving ammunition to these causes.

Your words mean more to the anti's than their own members words....because you lend credibility & support to their cause from the oppisite side of the fence. I do not hunt big cats with dogs nor do I have the ambition to......are others wrong for doing so ??? No they are not. Plus I do not know all the FACTS about it to judge it! Just because it is not on my agenda does not give me the right to judge them and their ways of sporting. I may not fit into their group or ways of doing things, but I will damn sure fight for their rights to keep doing them.

16. Trophy Taxidermy

Trophy Taxidermy New Member

This deer came from the Wilderness Whitetails ranch. The picture is on their website. Now all of you guys can quit your bitchin about the picture being photoshoped or alter in some way. That ranch has some giant deer on it, i wouldn't be suprised if it weiged over 400lbs.

17. buxxx

buxxx New Member

I agree Michael we can come to an understanding. I see your point. Hopefully you can understand mine also, that there is a limit to what the public is willing to accept before they start frowning on "hunters". I don't know at what point the so called hunt is not really a hunt. I guess it's not my decision nor yours. We'll agree to disagree I guess. Have a good one. buxxx

18. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

And that ranch that charges. 10 grand for a 200 in. deer. Would never photo shop a picture on their web site to draw clientele? No never happen !!! Yeah right !!

19. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

Its as real as that guys right hand thats holding it, blow it up and look at it....I'm not bitchin, I couldnt give a chit if its real or not...but its not.

20. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    I didn't read every post, so if this doesn't fit perfectly than forgive me, but I did see something mentioned about hunting with hounds. Hunting with hounds is a tradition in our country and around the world that goes back hundreds of years.

What's the difference between hunting over a big corn pile or a food plot? Hounds are an amazing animal, and not all are created equal. I have owned hounds for 30 years and have hunted Bear and coon with them. If I lived where there were cats I would hunt them too. For many it's not about killing an animal it's about the hunt. If the anti's don't like it then the hell with them, and I don't think hunters should tip toe around to keep from pissing off the anti's. I also don't think you should purposely try to piss off anyone.

Anyone that thinks hunting with hounds is the lazy mans way or the rich mans way has no idea what it's like to actually do it. I have hunted Bear over bait a couple different times, and that is a mind numbing marathon second to none.