1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can I order a right facing form and mount it to the left?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by sparkyf, Jan 3, 2010.

1. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

I'm wanting to order a matt Thompson pike form that is a right turn, tail out and up, and mount it to be a left turn, tail IN and up. The fish is to be mounted on a fairly thick piece of drift wood, and I thought the reverse curve would work out great for this. Any thoughts??

2. Ive only mounted 5 fish, but 3 of them have been with the "back" side facing out. you just need to fill in or rasp off anything abnormal. the wood block may in a little deeper also so use a longer screw to attach, otherwise no problems. this is a nice way to show off the "depth" of a fish.

3. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    I often do that

4. You will have to modify the form, but it is possible.

5. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Ok. I will order one. I can add a new block of wood where it will be better for me anyways. I often carve my own bodies, but my bandsaw only opens to 6 inches. Damn I knew I should have just built the foam cutter out of the breakthrough article.....another project I guess! Thanks for the responses. Mark Franks

6. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

i think it will look good if done right. post pics when you are finished

7. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Well nothing fit worth a darn......spent about 3 hours widdling down this form to fit. I think its easier to carve a form before I skin the fish, then I have the actual fish for ref. Anyways, this one was about all this hack could handle.....I think I have things set where I want them.

Attached Files:

8. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Your skiin is missaligned a bit. Pulled too far down on the body . And the Dorsal area looks a little funky to me as well. If you look at the profile, you see the front part is very large, then the belly area/middle slims down, and curves down a lot, and then there is a big rise in front of the dorsal fin. The body is sllightly misshapen. Either you carved too much off, or something in the wrong places. I know how much carving big fish sucks!! dont' blame you for trying to find a body that will fit. I did a northern on a rinehart form reverse curve just like that. Turned out ok,, but like yours, faught me the whole time. Had more foam on the floor, and in my rasp than I did on the form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha.. I feel your pain.

Good luck!!!

9. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Lets hope I can pull off something spectacular with the paint! ;)

10. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Well, here it is.....

Attached Files:

11. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

did some trimming on my branch...took 14 inches off. I like it better now

Attached Files:

12. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

outside

Attached Files: