1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

foam cutter issue 73 of breakthrough

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by sparkyf, Jan 4, 2010.

1. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

anyone build one yet? If so, how does it work???

Attached Files:

2. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

page 2

Attached Files:

3. cool, thanks. I'll build one and tell you how it works.

4. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Year ago I had one and they work great for styrofoam only, they won't work on urethane foam. You need to be careful not to breathe the fumes. I used to get an instant headache from that and I'm sure it killed off a few brain cells.

5. Hand saw, and or Band saw has always worked for me.No fumes , BUT, you gotta watch yer finners.LOL

6. curtisholson

curtisholson New Member

I built one years ago and it works great for cuttin' through styrofoam. The one I built is quite different from this, but it probably works just the same. Here's a video to show you how well they work.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRs2jIE8eA

7. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Only kills the weak ones!LOL

8. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Care to share how you built it?

9. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Awsome! Works slick!

10. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I don't see why it would not work. Personally I bout a meat saw from Rural King and put a generall purpose blade on it. Cheaper than modifying a band saw and the opening is large enough for any fish you would encounter.

11. Monty, I guess we are just old school,LOL.If our power goes out we can still cut our foam! LOL

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Check this site here out. It should help.

http://hotwirefoamcutterinfo.com/Hotwire_Foam_Cutting_Supply/HOW-TO_Videos.html

13. Kevin Halle

Thanks Bob ;)

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

No problem Kevin. I do a lot of carving for snakes and I'm actually thinking about making one. Seems like it would make things a LOT easier.

15. Kevin Halle

make 2 and send me one!! ;D

16. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I was hoping you were gonna try it first so I could just get you to make ME one :D

17. curtisholson

curtisholson New Member

Here's some pictures of the one I built, there are many different ways to build them, I just searched around on the internet until one found one that I liked. It was easy to build and I didn't have to buy a lot of materials. The arm that holds the wire on top is tensioned with a spring, this helps when cutting through big blocks of foam by letting it flex just a little, without breaking your wire. The wire I use to cut with is Nicrome (nickel-chromium) you can buy it online, and there are some hobby stores carry it as well. If you are going to use it to cut out fish manikins you may want to trace your template onto some thin cardboard and pin it to the styrofoam, then use it as a guide to cut it out. The most important thing is to make sure the wire is 90 degrees from the table. An easy way to check is to use a speed square. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]