1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

keeping your fleshing tools sharp

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by donkmstr, Jan 4, 2010.

1. just wondering what others do to keep your hand fleshers sharp? i have a neckler 500 and 2-neckler 600 's, i have a hard time keeping them super sharp. i know i should touch them up more offten, i usually send them to a friend to resharpen,thats why i have 3 , i use a grinder on a single hand scraper,dont cost much if i screw it up. i do alot of trapping and flesh alot,ive been custom tanning for years and the last several doing a little taxi,mostly for me and family,still learning

2. Here is what I use, the green tool at the top.
    You can use it to sharpen a fleshing/necking knife, regular knifes and scissors. Just have to pay attention to the angle you hold the blade while in use.

Attached Files:

3. supdavetax

supdavetax New Member

only one way in my book . Get a paper wheel you can get it from WASCO are bass pro . razor Sharp in know time easy to use . would not go with out one. you put it onto a standard grinder . About 50 bucks one of the beast investments in shop.

4. Thats a great question I would like an anwser to that to im having a hard time keeping a nice edge

5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Learn how to use a sharpening steel! What do you think Butchers use to keep their knives razor keen? Use the knife, give it a couple of swipes. This is shyt you should have learned to do before you ever even skinned anything! Doesn't anyone care about the basics anymore? I think not.

Get yourself to a Culinary store, or Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and check out their knife case. They sell, JA Henkels, Chicago Cutlery and the sharpening steels you need to keep the knives sharp.
    JA Henkels
    http://www.j-a-henckels.com/en-US

Chicago Cutlery
    http://www.chicagocutlery.com/

From the JA Henkels website: http://www.j-a-henckels.com/en-US/Product-Range--sortiment/Cutlery--knives/Chapter--kapitel/How-to-sharpen-a-knife--2678.html

How to Sharpen a Knife

Even a good knife will lose some of its sharpness with time. However, sharpening a knife is easy if you have the right tool and know how to use it.

How to sharpen knives properly:

1. Place the knife blade against the tip of the sharpening steel at an angle of approximately 20 degrees.

2. Pull the knife down and across the steel, describing a slight arc.

3. Repeat this action on the back of the steel to sharpen the other side of the blade.4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 five to ten times, alternating the left and right side of the blade.

It is very important to maintain the angle of 20 degrees and to run the full length of the cutting edge along the steel from the hilt to the tip of the knife. Speed of movement plays no part in this process.

[​IMG]

John.

6. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Doug, where did you get that middle knife? Been looking for one like it..

7. http://216.106.57.180/~burkes/product1.html

I have the B-200. I would not be with out it. I also have the paper wheels, but this is better.
    But, it is more expensive.

I can have the best of razor edges in a matter of seconds. People think I am a knife sharpening god. But its the machine. I fought dull blades for years till I got this one, maybe 10 years ago.

8. At a knife store. You can get them at Gorden's Food Service too.

9. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Forget all that 300.00 stuff get you a 1" X 30" bench belt sander, 220 grit paper , a good hard slick steel, and you can have a dull knife shaving in about 30 seconds. You'll spend about 50.00 total. I've been using mine for 20+ years. The key is, don't press too hard, and use a 180-220 grit paper. When your working you don't have time to use a whet stone or Lansky type system, you spend more time sharpening than you do working. I use forshner knives for everything,and have never owned a scalpul.

The paper wheels work but they're too much trouble having to apply the jeweler's rouge and all that.

[​IMG]

10. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

Hey Lord Rusty...I still know how to steel a knife....my kitchen ones get it all the time!
    I don't put it tip down on the counter like that though, I do it the dangerous way by holding it with the point away from me and swiping it towards myself...not smart, but I REALLY REALLY watch what I'm doing.

like this guy more or less....and ALMOST as fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkPHyEOpl7I&feature=related

11. seems to me the belt sander would work best for a fleshing knife like a neckler for me ,i already own one, ill have to try it., its alittle hard to sharpen a fleshing knife with handles on each end with a sharpening steel. regular knives i can sharpen,im just not a pro and should do it more often.

12. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Bobbi, I sharpen my knives the same way!!

13. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

we are "Samurai" LOL

14. I know this is an old posting but i just have a general question. Just how sharp do you guys keep your neckler knife? Mine is sharp but i couldn't shave with it.

15. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

NECKER....not Neckler

16. OK RON, "NECKER" naw thet yau kmow whet I an telkang abaut. could you please answer me. As to how sharp you keep your "NECKER"? ;)

17. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    John hit the nail on the head, I was a professional meat cutter for 24 years besides doing taxidermy, the only way to truely keep your knife sharp is with a steel. you need a coarse grit and a fine smooth steel when your knife starts to dull all thats happening is your edge is rolling over and a steel will roll it back in place. If you properly learn to steel your knifes they will last much longer, to much grinding will wear your knife out so much sooner. I steel my fleshing knifes 15 to 20 times per hour when I work with them. Never grind your knifes till they get hot or the steel with lose it's temper and then will not hold an edge very long at all.

18. I too was a meat cutter in a local super market for 4 years than a butcher for a local abattoir for 3 years before becoming a machinist for 13 years. Not to toot my own horn but if anyone knows how to keep a piece of steel sharp, it should be a meat cutter/ butcher/ machinist. Even with all that on my resume, I still can't seem to run a steel over a two handled "NECKER" properly. I don't have a problem sharpening something, it is knowing how sharp it should be for best results. I tried having mine blunt "The way it was sent to me from McKenzie's" which didn't do a good job at all. Than I tried having it sharp but not razor sharp and all it did was cut holes. So now it just sits in a corner.