1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Savannah Monitor

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Jim B, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

This was a fun project.It is a wild, 50", Savannah Monitor that was bow-killed in Africa.All I had to go on were kill photos and the skin for measurements.I carved a body based on the skin measurements and all the photos I could find.It was shot twice,through and through,with 4 blade broadheads but the good news is,the hunter was a tanner and personally skinned and tanned it himself.It was a great skin to work with.I've mounted a lot of snakes but this is the only lizard I've done.[​IMG]

2. daniel

daniel New Member

nice liz :)DANIEL

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Nice Jim,.........

So, I'm assuming that you carved the body? What materials did you use?

Kerby...

4. Humphery

Humphery Guest

Nice work.

5. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Kerby,I carved the head first from a dense piece of urethane foam which was saved from a form alteration.I then carved the neck and body from a block of urethane foam.The legs and tail were carved from 2 lb. density ethafoam,which is a flexible, white foam.I then ran a wire through each leg and the tail and put all the pieces together.I used the skin to test each part as I carved.This gave me a form with flexible legs and tail so I could have a little flexibility in posing and fitting to the base.I used latex caulk for paste,because of it's flexibility.

6. Kerby Ross

Thanks Jim,........

Again nice work on reptiles!

:)

Kerby...

7. Great job, very nice.

8. Great work.

9. It looks great, but I don't think it's a savanna. It looks more like a rock monitor?

10. Kerby Ross

Rhasputin....

It is actually a white throated monitor. A few years ago taxonomist separated the savanahs into sub-species (white throated, black throated & savanah). Jim's monitor appears to be a white throated monitor.

Jim does great reptile work.

:)

Kerby...

11. Aha! Thanks!

The monitor looks amazing. I have a pet one, and this mount really captures their personality.

12. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

Awesome work. Your habitat is amazing as well. I really like how the grass is bent over as he's climbing over the rock.

13. Amazing work!

14. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Jim that is fantastic work.

15. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

:eek: FANTASTIC! Great Job! 8)

16. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Thanks guys.My customer's PH had told him it was a Savannah and I obviously am not up on my monitors.Someone had PM'ed me and told me it was a White Throated.I should have come back and changed it.Anyway,that was a fun project and a great skin to work with which is rare with small African skins.The customer completely skinned out the head.
    [​IMG]

17. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

That my friend is wonderful! :eek: Great JOB! 8)

18. RMeadows

RMeadows New Member

Wowsers, that's stunning. Such amazing creatures, you really did a great capture. Hope to have one of these one day, except a live one, haha.

19. joey P Holmes

joey P Holmes New Member

Very Nice Work.