1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

soft Tanning or preserving dyed deer hair.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by jfmustang, Jan 5, 2010.

1. jfmustang

jfmustang New Member

First off I want to thank you for taking the time to read and answer my post I will appreciate any advice.

I dyed some deer hair strips on the hide and have been drying them with salt or borax. I woul like to have a patch of dyed hair on hide that is flexible not stiff like a have now. Is there a brush on tan that you might recomend or another process? What would be the easiest way for me to get the results I want without sending the strips to someone to get tanned? The materials will ultimately be used for fly tying, I want the pliable skin so that it is easier to work with. Thank you again for any help

2. nitt

nitt Member

get krowtann and use that n break over blunt edge

3. jfmustang

jfmustang New Member

thank you for your reply, I have looked at krowtann and I was worried that submerging the dyed skin might ruin the dye job or the chemicals react somehow. Have you or has anyone here tried tanning dyed skins before? I am most concerned with ruining the dye job but I am willing to experiment.