1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Small Tip on Pulled Whiskers

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Wayne R, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

A while back, the topic about getting whiskers to stand up came up. I prefer to pull the whiskers. I just think you can flesh, and shave down the muzzle better without worrying about cutting the roots of the whiskers, and I think you can properly groom the face without them being there. The thing is, most folks just stick the whiskers to tape until they are ready to put them back into a mount. I believe in one of Jan Van Hoesen's tapes, she mentions sticking them in clay. I'm sure the idea has been around for a long time. You should be able to notice in the photo, that the whiskers are separated in rows, and the sequence in which they came off the bobcat. I also made a notation, as to which side they came from. They will pull very easily from the clay when it comes time to put them back in.

[​IMG]

2. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

good tip Wayne!

3. Darla R.

Darla R. New Member

Great idea, I was taught to stick mine on tape and they are a son of a gun to get back off. Gonna try this next time!!

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Good tip, Wayne.

I usually use a strip of masking tape with little dots made with the tip if a Sharpie Marker following the pattern of both sides of the muzzle. Then each plucked whiskers root is placed onto the correct dot until they are all in place, both left and right. A piece of clear plastic is stuck down onto this to keep it all nice and neat until needed, when I lift each whisker off and place it back into position on the mount.

And yes, the whisker pads on the muzzle shave down easier and more evenly without having the whisker roots to contend with!

John.

5. O nice tip! I am going to try this with my next whiskery animal mount. Thank you!

6. Bobbi Meyer

i got two whiskery critters right now I can try that one.
    you put them back with super glue?

7. Mason

Mason Active Member

Thanks for the tip Wayne !
    Appreciate them all!

8. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Bobbi, use something like an upholstery pin to make a hole where you want the whisker to go, and dab of super glue (gel) on the root of the whisker, push it in and you're done. Back brush the fur on the face before putting the whiskers back while the hide is drying helps give it a fuller look.

9. Bobbi Meyer

I"ll try that on the next two I have!
    Thanks Wayne

10. bluetaxi69

bluetaxi69 New Member

ditto

11. I pull whiskers too, thanks for the tip. I put mine on masking tape and mark location. This tip is a better way!
    Thanks,
    Steve