1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann comment

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ndawoods25, Feb 12, 2007.

1. I have used Krowwtan for 3 seasons now. I just ran out of my last year stock and had some new Whitetail formula on hand. I used it and it has a smell I thought like a spice candle. Anyone else notice the different smell from the old stuff?

2. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

im sticking with kt 2000

3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Do you mean the mix or the deer after mounting? I used the Whitetail formula and it stunk pretty bad but not bad enough to turn me off. The mount I used it on smells like tide now with no remnants of the Krowtann smell.

4. I have only used the whitetail formula and after wash in Tide it smells like Tide. What does the original formula smell like?

5. KT 2000 smells like strong vinegar, acid mix. The new stuff when I pulled the cape out and was shaving smelt like a spice candle.

6. paul e

paul e New Member

the new stuff neutralizes a little easier i find
    i get a little softer cape and a little more stretch

7. Tricia

Tricia New Member

The whitetail formula isn't working the way it should. The skin is sometimes pink or purple. GREAT stretch, because it was still half raw...even after 18 hours in the autotanner. I found myself putting it back through in the original formula just to get it tanned all the way through.

Anyone else having that problem?

8. Now that you said something about the pink spots I did have them. I turn the cape twice a day and tan 4 days. I figured it was tanned. Had 4 days in the slop

9. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i was having excellent results with the original formula so i could see no sense changing -

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Same here.

11. RStanton

RStanton New Member

Purple sounds like a sign you have some metal contaminating your solution.

12. Dont know how. I tan in a rubbermade comtainer. No metal EVER touches the solution or hide. I store my containers with lids on..

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Could be in your water source. Have you checked that?

14. Tricia

Tricia New Member

I know four other taxidermists having the same trouble, all from different locations. Can't be the water source in five cities covering both Missouri and Kansas.

Nobody seems to know the answer to the problem, not even Ozark Wood.

15. paul e

paul e New Member

well im having no problems at all
    go figure
    tanned completely in about two days
    i feel left out
    let me go back to work and see
    IF I CAN PURPOSELY SCREW ONE UP
    ill try harder

16. Tricia

Tricia New Member

paul e,

Two days? For the good old bucket method that's too short a time. Seems you won't have to try too dang hard to screw up if you're tanning in two days.

If, on the other hand, that's two days in a pressure tanner...that seems a bit too long for me. Although I did leave it in the tanner for 48 hours once, and it still wasn't tanned through with the Whitetail formula. Had to put it back through with 2000.

Not sure why I have an autotanner if it still takes more than two days to tan...the whole purpose is to speed things up and still acheive a good tan with decent stretch.

17. ozark woods

ozark woods New Member

We have only been contacted by three people having the problem you are having Tricia. I think you were the second to call but never called back, did you ever try the options we gave you to try and find the problem? It's hard to fix something when we can't go to everybodys shop and watch and check every step. We can only go by their word that they followed the directions, or if they added to them or skipped something.It still sounds as if something is neutralizeing the tann.

Thanks

Ozark Woods

18. Tricia

Tricia New Member

The last time we talked you suggested I try testing the ph. It was 2.3. Should have been just fine at that.

Sorry I didn't call back. I had already called you guys three times and didn't feel another call was going to solve anything. You two were out of ideas. I didn't know what else to try either.

I'll tell you what I've been doing since then and maybe you can tell me if I'm shooting myself in the foot.

I've been using up what whitetail formula I have by mixing it with the 2000 in the tanner. I tried various ratios and found that a 1:1 was working great. It gave me the stretch I was looking for and the leather was a bit more supple than if I had used strictly 2000. I really liked it.

What do you think of that? Should I be mixing them? There seems to be no adverse effects.

19. paul e

paul e New Member

Tricia
    i let it sit the usual threedays
    but i can tell from the color almost all were tanned in two
    and if not had any problems
    i always check the pH out of habit i guess
    now maybe my water is better
    but i always get a pH of no higher than about 2
    i know Glen has written about the fact that all water is not the same
    as far me I'm happy as a pig in slop
    no complaints
    if the tann and the results got any better id get a t-shirt and a coffee mug with it on it
    and like Ozark Woods says
    it seams to be only a couple of oddballs that have problems

20. ozark woods

ozark woods New Member

Did you try going back and useing a bucket not in the auto tanner, doing this lets you know if its something in the autotanner,or something in your salt or water that doesnt need to be is getting into your mix.The whitetail formula will be efected more than the 2000 by added contaminants. Also was that the ph just after mixing or after a few hours, and what was it after the hide was added after a few hours?

Thanks
    Ozark Woods