1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

California Taxidermy Question

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by klstet21, Jan 6, 2010.

  1. klstet21

    klstet21 New Member

    I am new to taxidermy and have been doing some research on line and on this forum. I'm sorry if this is a re-post of a previous question but I have not been able to find any information to answer the question. I want to eventually open a taxidermy shop somewhere in northern California after I retire from the Navy. I haven't been able to find any information about special licensing for selling taxidermy in this state other than the normal business licenses required for a business. I noticed a post on here before also about training in California and was wondering if there was anyone near Ventura County willing to help me out in person with some training. I enjoy doing taxidermy and have done 3 mounts so far and would love to do it for a living after the military. Any info is helpfull. Thanks in advance.
  2. Try giving Chuck a call at Ojai Valley Taxidermy. He's about 20 minutes from you and will be a big help.
    I don't have his number, He is listed.

  3. Marshall

    Marshall New Member

    Fish and game in California does not require any special state taxidermy permit, however... you will need a federal license for migratory birds if you plan on doing them. If you search "taxidermy" on the California fish and game web site they will have a list for what can and can't be bought and sold in California. Also, consider joining the state taxidermy association...very helpful!
  4. You only need that licence if your BREEDING gamebirds and waterfowl, not to mount them. If you mount them, each must be tagged with the hunters' licence number, name, etc. if frozen. Once mounted, it is not required at all.

    I breed several gamebirds and waterfowl, and have the licence.
  5. RoyalOaksRanch

    RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

    You dont need any special license to sell taxidermy mounts, however you have to know the laws.. You cant sell antlers.. which means no deer mounts..and of course no bears or wolverines LOL..
    You obviously cant sell any migratory birds, unless of course they are pen raised, and you need the game bird breeders license number who you aquired them from or if you bred them yourself you need a game breeders license. 18.50 a year..higher if over a certain amount of pheasant per year..
    If you are going to be doing taxidermy the only license you need here is the business license. Mine runs 25.00 a year.. No big deal..

    The migratory permit you will need if you do migratory birds, and no license required for fish..

    As for training, there is no actual school here but IM sure you can find people here that offer seminars and such.
  6. klstet21

    klstet21 New Member

    Hey Mark, I called Chuck today and he told me to come by and talk to him in person. Sounds like a great guy. He spoke very highly of you. Can't wait to meet him in person. Thanks for the reference.

  7. RDA

    RDA Active Member

    there are some GREAT folks within the association...... ;)
  8. Kevin glad to hear you made contact, I meant to dig his number out and ??? Well here I am.
    Anyway I am glad you made caontact.

    Thank You Ron, I know you have been a huge part in my persuit of taxidermy with some of the pieces you have brought
    over the years. I also appreciate all the informative posts you have contributed on here, Just sorry I did not become part
    of this years ago. Hope to see you in Sac this year.
  9. YEAH, RON..... ::) ;D