1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

204, 22-250, 223 pelt damage?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Wayne R, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

I know everyone is going to have a favorite cartridge or rifle for that matter, but what does each one of these do to a fox, bobcat or coyote? Do they tear up the smaller stuff, and yet still seem light for a big yote? Is there really a good all around catridge for all 3? I'm leaning towards the Ruger Hawkeye Predator in the 204. I can pull a variety of rifles and shotguns out of the gun safe, but nothing I have now I would consider good for all 3. What bullet and weight do you like?

I just realized where I posted this, I meant to put it in the General Discussions, sorry.........

2. The 22-250 will blow a fox or bobcat in half. The 223 does some major damage as well. I have heard about some ammo that makes a small entry wound with no exit but have never tried it. Not sure about the 204.

3. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

.223 Barnes Grenade tips. they go in but they don't come out and they don't make a huge hole where they go in. The bullet literally separates into many little pieces when it enters. Just don't try shooting through brush with them because they explode pretty much on impact. Just try to shoot them anywhere but in the lungs. LOL Dan

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

223 gets my vote as well small hole, 22-250 in my exp blows them to heck and back, I really prefer a 17 rem, but the 223 is cheaper to shoot...

5. .17 all the way for varmints

6. pureluck

pureluck Member

MO
    I shoot the .204 with hornady poly tips. small hole in, no hole out. I've had 223 and 22-250 and loved them but I think I like the 204 better.

7. sawtooth taxi

sawtooth taxi New Member

I like my .223. The other rounds are too fast. Its not always about the bullet when you're shooting 4000 FPS. Its the velocity doing the damage. I load my .223 down as far as I can go. I have even shot sub sonics through it. Most of my coyote and fox shots are under 100 yds so there is no need for a screaming round. You also don't have a bunch of recoil so you can spot your own shots. JMO

8. rebel

rebel New Member

yes but i like the Remington accu tips

9. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    .223 with the nosler ballistic tips work great on yotes and foxes not sure about cats. sound like they work just like those barnes grenade bullets. small hole and wow they explode inside. i usually find the shell fragments stopped by the exit side of the fur on foxes but have never had full penetration. i have a guy bring me tons of foxes that he shoots with a 22-250 and they are blown in half or have a good 4-5 inch hole in them. i just loaded him up some 22-250 in the same nosler i use not sure that it will have the same effect as my .223 not too optimistic but i'll let you know the results.

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I shoot a FJM in 223 and 22-250 both work great with little tiny holes.

11. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

I have all the .22 centerfires and have shot many, many coyotes with all of them. I've had a .204 since they came out and will pick it every time when I'm saving skins. With a solid hit, the bullet does not exit and all the bullets energy is used up inside the animal. I shoot 50 to 100 coyotes a year so the experience is not based on just a few. You can nearly duplicate the .204 performance with a .223 if you load a 40 grain v-Max to max. velocity. The load comes close to the .204 with a 40 grain in velocity and the bullet does not exit on coyote and bobcat sized animals. Once again, all the energy is spent in the animal. They hit hard. Full metal jackets indeed produce small entrance and exit holes in the pelt but also do minimal damage to the vitals and the animal runs before it dies. I like them dead where they're hit. If you're buying new, take a look at Savage. You won't be disappointed. That Accu-Trigger can be adjusted down to a pound. One other note is recoil. Even a .223 with a 55 grain bullet recoils enough that you lose your sight picture. A .204 with a 32 grain bullet recoils so light that you don't lose the sight picture. You get to see the hit. Good luck!

12. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I've been coyote hunting for 15 yrs with FMJ and only lost 1 that was hit. They just spin in circles biting at their shoulder untill they pass out 99% of the time..........At least all the ones I have shot do. some will spin a few times and make it 10-20 yrds or so before they expire.

13. squid

squid hunt hard or go home

.223 with barnes varment garnades, work awsome on all 3 critters

14. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I had a chance to buy some FMJ ammo for my .222 but was scared off by claims that the small holes would result in many run-offs never to be found. I wonder how many hunters who say that have actually experienced it. You are one of the few who HAS apparently shot coyotes with FMJ and have very few losses. Thanks for this post.

15. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

I appreciate all the input so far, very informative. Thanks.

16. .22 mag. I have never even thought about spending the money for a 204 or 17. Have no need to the .22 mag does everything I have ever needed it to. yote and cat at 100 yards, even a lot large game with a well placed shot.

17. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

They are great for night shots too ( where legal) when all you can see is there eyes glowing back from the spot light you can shoot them in the head without much worry about damage.

18. mike g

mike g Active Member

I use a 22-250 with a 55gr soft point and never have any problems with destroying the pelts on fox bobcat or coyote.

19. bowkill

bowkill New Member

like the 204, like was said before in hole small no out hole and good for a little more yardage than 22 mag. only used for coyotes though its actually the only rifle i own, everything else is archery, two big holes but a lot funner IMO.

20. D.Taximan

D.Taximan Member

22 Hornet is what I use. I have shot 3 coyotes with it they all went down with in 10 yd. bullets did not exit. Never shot a fox or bobcat with it so can't say on them. Squirrel's and skunks it blows up bad.

I think it's just right caliber for Mass. varmint hunting out to 200 yd. It's not as loud as a 223 or 22-250. Your welcome to stop by and try it out if you like.