1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Applying Stop Rot??

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mathewstax, Jan 10, 2010.

1. mathewstax

mathewstax Don Enrique Ranch

I read all the archives on Stop Rot so thought I would give it a try. I've got a Red Fox and a WT in the freezer, correct me if I''m wrong. On both I apply to the sensitive areas, face and ears on the hair side, then apply while skinning to the flesh side all over. Is this right?
    Also how should this be applied. Rubbing it in, Brushing it on with a brush or ??
    Thanks

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You can do the sensitive areas while skinning, but on the inside, flesh it first. Nothing is going to spoil in the half our it will take to skin and flesh, just brush it on after it is fleshed.

3. stop rot or no stop rot slit your fox tail all the way to the tip. salt or what ever you tan with but its been my luck . That every fox ive ever gotten on here and out on my own has slipped the tail if the tail was not spilt mark c

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Wow. You can flesh a fox in a half hour? Does that include the toes and turning the ears and lips? I'm impressed. I take about 4 hours to do that. I'm soooo slow.

5. no stupid i can flesh it in 10 min i can TURN it in 35 min a bob cat in 49 or less and a stinkin deer in about the same time full size so ill correct you fleshing is DIFERANT than the skining and turning and other small things now smile im happy 1 skin 2 turn flesh and 4 salt 5 pickle 6 nutelize 7 tan 8 thin again 9 mount and 10 collect my money and i do get paid $$$$$ BIG !! now im happy again a friend on here also bet me someone would say and do just what you did and i got mooooooe @@%$$$$ thanks mark c none stop rot abuserer

6. Boarhunter - having spent alot of time with Mark at his shop - he is being modest - as to his times for skinning and turning - he is faster than his posted...

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Not sure I'll ever be that fast. I asked my teacher and another taxidermist I've worked with in the past who is getting ready to retire how long it took them to do a bobcat to the salting stage and they were both at 3:30 so I didn't feel too bad...until now. LOL.

8. thanks jerry im not realy trying to impress anyone . The last bob cat 34in i did in 35 min . my wife was cooking me stuffed chicken breast with 7 cheeses / wowo good stuff . i know hat some are slower and might need the aid of stop rot or such, my doughter is almost as fast as i am now . but she is still young so we will see . mark c