1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what is plush

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by woods to wall taxidermy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. I hear people say i want it for a plush or that would make a nice plush. What does plush mean?

2. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Type "plush" in the search box above and look at pictures. Here is a link to one of the threads i found when i did.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,159152.0.html

3. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

They are taxidermy 'soft mounts' or plushes.
    They have mounted heads with poly fil stuffed bodies
    Sort of like a stuffed animal with real fur.
    Like these of mine
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45713516@N03/4197327707/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45713516@N03/4198088106/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45713516@N03/4198089062/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45713516@N03/4215399302/

4. Sage

Sage New Member

Plush is basically a term for a stuffed animal. It's more appealing to some people since the fur is from a real animal and it brings life back into it (like with traditional taxidermy), but is not considered 'real' taxidermy as it's just taking a tanned skin, putting polyfil stuffing in it, sewing it up, making the face look good and/or additional detail work (ex: adding eyes), then calling it done.

Some guys here at the forum feel the plush-makers should do 'real' taxidermy to get an appreciation for all the hard work that goes into it, or that plush-making isn't 'real' (as it bypasses the plush-maker's need to go from green hide off the body to the tanning process; the plush-maker just takes finished tanned pelts and works with that). Myself, I believe all of it is valid forms of practicing taxidermy, just as there's different expressions of making art. Which is what all of us are doing in one perspective anyway, LOL... plus there's the appeal that plush-making puts taxidermy into a positive light as well. My grandmother had a stuffed seal as a kid...

but basically, what Silver-Rose said. They're tanned animal skins stuffed and whatnot. You can't really hug a rigid-form taxidermy mount.

5. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

sure you can!

6. Silverose01

Not all soft mounts use finished tanned pelts, I've skinned and tanned for soft taxidermy and it takes quite a bit of work. It's like a sewn up rug and can be cut to use as a rug later on if wanted.
    Older older forms of taxidermy had been skins stuffed with rags or soft cloth. Soft mounts are a kind of modern version of that type of taxidermy. They are real taxidermy, just not traditional rigid mount taxidermy.

7. mberry85

mberry85 New Member

Not to mention, they don't come cheap!! I haven't seen one under $800. I'd like to have a go at it, but I'm still a roadkill-shopper. :)

8. Sage

Sage New Member

@VanKirk: :) Conceded- you *could* hug one, but it's stiff and not too cuddly (to me anyways).

@Silver-Rose: True. o_o That point about being turned into rugs hadn't occurred to me.
    ^-that line confuses me; not all soft mounts use tanned pelts / you've skinned & tanned -> the pelts are still tanned regardless?
    (But it's very cool that you also tan them! :) It shows you're one of the exceptions to the idea I've seen around here that I'd read as mentioned in prior post.)

note- I don't mean to be seen as pissing on anyone's party, LOL... just spouting stuff I've seen around here.

@MBerry: I've seen foxes offered for $300ish, but agreed- they're not cheap! It comes down to how much someone wants to sell something for and who buys.
    (I'll also stick to roadkill.)

9. Silverose01

Lol, Sage I meant that not all people who make the soft mounts buy their pelts already finished and ready to mount. Some buy skinned or frozen whole to skin them. I'm wanting to tan a larger animal but I have tanned only small critters.

I've got a coyote mount I'd like to sell, still deciding though. And a fox for $400. The price often depends on the cost of the pelt.

10. Its a teddy bear lol

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Are Plushy's considered taxidermy? Or should they not be in that category? Are fur coats a taxidermy product?

12. Well... its a rug sewn up... is a rug considered taxidermy? I see it as using skills from taxidermy. but not really taxidermy no.

13. Thanks everyone for the input

14. Bangle

Bangle New Member

Sage. MOST of the people that make the plushes HAVE handled and worked with raw skins, and skinning animails etc. HOWEVER, most of us are college students using this as a fun hobby and to make some extra cash and sill be able to dabble around in taxidermy. Skinning a deer in a dorm...not a bright idea.

Most of us also have done a lot of traditional taxidermy. I'm more interested in traditional taxidermy, but that's not what I sell. The plushes are easier for me to sell and do, but I make traditional mounts for my own personal experiance.

Saying a plush is not taxidermy, is like saying a rug isn't taxidermy. It's the SAME thing...the only difference is that the body is sewn up instead of left laying flat.

15. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Here is a quote taken from a paragraph on Taxi-net's "What is Taxidermy?" page...

If taxidermy is the movement of skin, then why can't plushes be considered taxidermy?

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

A rug has a detailed face and open mouth detail, sometimes, they even look real. A plushy is nothing more then a leather bag.

17. mberry85

mberry85 New Member

I personally view taxidermy as any form or means of preserving an animal, be it in part or whole. :) So all of the above would be taxidermy.

18. those leather "bags" pay my rent lol....

19. Bangle

Bangle New Member

Who pissed in your soda can? lol

A lot of the plushes have very detailed and realistic faces too, some people have even done open-mouth ones, just like there are closed mouth rugs. It's NOT a friggin' leather bag...a lot of work goes into them, just like some other forms of taxidermy. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it "not taxidermy". Like Nina said and kind of what Sage said, it's just another twist to it, but it's still overall the same.

20. mberry85

mberry85 New Member

While we're on the subject of plushies, what do you guys use? Do you use the rug head forms? Have you ever done one with an open mouth? I've been looking at the McKenzie snap-in open mouth forms, and thought about trying it, if I ever get a coyote!