1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Just mounted...critique please

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ShedEgo, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

Its been awhile since Ive asked for a critique, so I figure its time. Ive been looking at him too long and I need some fresh eyes!
    Looking at these I already see that the white patch under the left eye needs to be moved down a little.
    Hes very wet yet, so if you see something that needs to be adjusted please let me know :)
    Thank you!
    And yes...I hate straight upright forms too...but thats what the owner of this deer wanted :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I really have no room (experience) to critique, but in the straight on shot it looks like the right side of his face (eye,nostril) is a little higher than the left. The nose looks a little twisted maybe.

3. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

yep, I see it too...good call. thank you

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Ill and that The eye size seems small...

5. You're welcome.

6. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

I thought the same thing ;D it kinda has a DEAD look in the last pic :-\

7. it may be the angle of the pic, but the deer's white bib looks shifted slightly to the deer's left side. Something about the eye is drawing attention to me. I think Rae is right, the eye looks a tad on the small side. Also, the eyelid from the bottom of the top lid to the lid crease looks extremely thick.

Overall though, awesome job. I've not done a straight upright yet, but I'm not looking forward to it! Symmetry is everything on those! Great job hun ;)

~Leslie

8. dwstex38

dwstex38 New Member

Im not an expert but you either have too much clay around the eyes or is that the right size eye for the form? Look at your reference eyes are too small.

9. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Is the chair back in the dinning room ? LOL I think the ears may need to be rotated forward a bit it may be the angle of the photo. I had the same issue before here is a pic that Mr T sent to me so I would get what he was talking about.

Attached Files:

10. I know alot of forms won't allow us to get a correct antler placement, but this is what I see. The blue line is the proper angle for antler placement. When the antlers are to high or too far back, it causes the back of eyes pull a little high, it also appears thet you may have a little too much clay in your eyes. Now to the quiffy at the bottom of the antlers. If you take your pick and grab some of the skin from in front of the ear butt, and force it down towords the skull, then pull it up behind the antler, I think it would give you a better formed cowlick at the antler burr. The skin behind the antlers accually follows the bone down and then up to the ear butt. The hair pattern at the back of the mouth looks like you could move some of the skin down and around to the bottom. That will let the hairs gently flow around the back corner of the mouth. Hope this helps. All and all not as bad lookin mount.
    Jim

Attached Files:

11. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

Thanks everyone for helping me out!
    Ive made alot of adjustments.
    Im thinking I may have put too much clay around the eyes like some of you said. because I used the suggested eye size for that form, or else maybe I should have went up a size?

D.W.M. - haha you remember that huh :) ...that chair has been retired

12. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

post some new pics please...lets see !