1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Silicone Removal

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Eric R., Jan 12, 2010.

1. Eric R.

Eric R. New Member

I tried the silicone on the bottom 1 1/2" of some test antlers and of course it works good, too good. Now getting it off is as bad as I had feard, ::) How you getting it off easier than picking for hours?? Maybe caulk would be better over silicone?

2. LOL
    I am having the same trouble as you are.I do like 100 euros a year,and was getting tired of restaining the antler burrs.I tried the silicon and it does work.I found take a heat gun and heat the silicon up and it will peal right off.Other i found put it on thick so you can get ahold of it after you heat it up.Becareful not to burn yourself.

hope this helps

3. OregonOutdoordude

OregonOutdoordude New Member

hmmm.... Must be using the wrong kind? works like a charm for me.

4. i use 100% clear silicon what do you use?

5. ditto on putting it on thick and w/ a little xtra heat it should come off in big chunks.

6. Eric R.

Eric R. New Member

I knew somebody had the trick to it!! And yes the pure silicone, not caulk.

7. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

Seems like a good idea if your only doing a few skulls per year. I don't see the time savings in applying and trying to remove chaulk/silicone off the antlers if your doing quantity. Seems like a time killer. Especially if you have a gnarley base. JMO

8. Littlejoe1973

Littlejoe1973 New Member

thick silicone peals off quick in one or two pieces for me. It works great, but I had one skull that was per pot stained at the bases before putting the silicone on (long story). I put it back in the tank for more degreasing and the stain bleached out. Per pot must break down with heat or something.

9. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

Per pot? What the hell is that?

You mean potassium permanganate?

10. Raspy

Raspy New Member

I was fearing that. I am doing my first skull and it is in the maceration stage. I was wondering how easy silicone would come off as I was applying it. I applied pretty thick so hopefully I will be OK. Do you guys take the silicone off before or after whitening stage?

11. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

After whitening.

12. Raspy

Raspy New Member

Thanks bulldog I appreciate your help!

13. Eric R.

Eric R. New Member

Kindof the conclusion I've come to as well but can't hurt to try new things. Works great, as it was meant for but a pain to remove. I may still play with it later though to find a better way.

14. wellllllll............i suppose it its too much of a painus in the anus one could sand down all those nasty burrs on the base of the antler so it was all really smooth like??? lol maybe not

15. Kurt27

Kurt27 New Member

When i remove the silicone i make a cut down threw the piece longways then peel the entire thing off the antlers, no problems . It shouldnt take long to peel off

16. that's what i'm talking about. great minds must think alike kurt

17. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

Well skulley, as a hobbiest im sure you have the time for it .

18. i have no more spare time than anyone else and i sure wont waste it away. you can peel the silicone off just as fast as you can touch up the antlers w/ stain.

19. YEAP SOMETIMES IT TAKES A LITTLE TIME TO GET THE SILICON OFF NOW AND THEN,BUT JUST A LITTLE BIT OF HEAT TAKES IT RIGHT OFF.

20. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

Ill take your word for it champ ;)