1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Fish-Critique Please

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Johnson1993, Jan 12, 2010.

1. This is the first fish that I have ever mounted so any advice and pointers would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Sorry, forgot to add the close-up on the eye.

Attached Files:

3. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    Reference,reference,reference.

4. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Is it painted, it looks dead. Eye color is way off and you need to rebuild shrunken areas. Do as jemmick has said get reference and use it.

5. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I think the eye is also too big.

6. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

the fish has some serious issues. it doesn't look like you applied any paint to the fish at all. it also looks like you put backing on the caudal and anal fins but not on the soft dorsal. you need to rebuild the shrunken areas around the fin buts and the head area. also the head is dropped down a little bit, where as it should come straight off the top of the head in a straight line. keep working on it and you'll get better. you really need the reference as mentioned before. remember the goal is to make the look alive again not dried out and dead.

7. wow a crappie for your first fish its a fish alot of veterans have trouble with thats great to fear no fish though it kind of looks like a fish fill fish it lacks the roundness of a crappie the tail fin and soft dorsal have alot of damage there again repairing or replacing those come with experience the more color is needed for sure keep on with trial and error thats how most of us learned ;)

8. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Tail and tail junction looks great. What everyone else said above. Keep at it you'll only get better..

9. Okay yeah that all makes sense but i didn't know how to paint crappie because if you add any colors then it covers up the spotty pattern i really only added silver and a little bit of yellow and white... how do I paint crappie? As for the fish I did use fish filler. I'm not sure about the eye being bigger though it's the same size as when it was measured before taken out. I can see some of the mistakes you guys pointed out and appreciate it a lot! Thanks for the pointers ill get it sooner or later :)

10. hey thanks for the link its a big help! ...still confused though about how NOT to cover up the pattern

11. you just want to tint the fish with color not actually paint it if your markings are disapearing paint is to heavy some paints such as bright yellow or amber oxide are transparents you can even go over markings first then tint your fish

12. ahh the key is transparent paints ;)
    see I'm fairly inexperienced because I'm only 16 and I'm learning taxidermy from a high school class so our teacher probably keeps things pretty basic but I'm trying to learn, which is what its all about right? but thanks for the pointers everyone. my next fish will be better by leaps and bounds!

13. Becky P

There are high schools that still teach taxidermy? Wow, I had no idea, that's great! The antis haven't gotten to that school yet.

Let me dig around here and see if I can find a video or two, and make sure they still work. They won't be the best quality but I think they can help you.

14. thanks much! I think my teacher said there's only five high schools that offer a taxidermy class so its a pretty sweet deal.

15. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

There is a class taught in Rochester,Mn. at the high school also. Good deal

16. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

get a new teacher....... ;D......sorry but IF someone is not even teaching you the basics, like filling in shrunken areas, setting eyes, carding/repairing fins, or ANYTHING about anatomy, then they shouldnt teach it.......you'd be better off getting your training from a myriad of manuals and DVD's out there and then applying those principles while your in class.

17. greener

greener New Member

keep your head up kid. Practice make perfect and just don't get frustrated over it. These guys are not trying to be belitttle you in anyway thier just trying to help so you can improve. Just have lots of referances around you when you start the fish. That is key. Anyway keep at it. it will come!!!

18. haha dont worry no offense taken! after all thats why I asked. But my teacher does teach the basics of filling in shrunken areas and anatomy and fins and painting but its a high school class and hes got a lot of students to balance himself in between. cuz u gotta remember half of these kids have never touched an animal and were only in the room for 40 minutes a day... lol he also told me not to do a crappie for my first fish ;D

19. Becky P

I found two videos, one on mounting and one on painting a largemouth bass. PM me your address and I'll get the sent out next week.