1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rattlesnake question

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Va1Kar2, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Va1Kar2

Va1Kar2 New Member

What can I do to avoid the scales to form a white milky type of outer layer after a few days of drying. I tanned my skin using true tan and mounted it on a manikin. As soon as I noticed that some scales were getting a little white I sprayed on some clear top coat matte to try and seal the scales before they peeled off. However some parts of the snake look awesome and others (tail area) are starting to look a little white again. I sprayed some more clear matte and it helped but I would like to know how to avoid this in the first place. Again, some parts of the snake look really nice but other scales have formed a white outer milky colored stuff. I tried taking it off with a needle but it seems that what remains doesn't have the detail as before. Should I have let it dry before adding the top coat matte. Is there something I can do as soon as I mount the snake to lock everything the way it is and then just let it dry on its own without this problem?

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Sounds like your problem is not rinsing the snake skin thoroughly after tanning. I've never had one do that. ???

3. You got it Perry!! Sounds like remaining salt rsidue com,ing to the surface. If you locked it in with a sealer, it really cant be fixed unless you strip the entire snake!

4. Va1Kar2

Va1Kar2 New Member

Maybe you are right and I was a little careless here. However, I'm beginning to think that it might also be some residue from the clear matte. The reason I decided to put on the clear coat was that I noticed the outside part of the scale lifting slightly, resembling a coral snake when it's drying and I decided to try and halt this. Somebody mentioned modge podge or something to try and seal it. Will this work?

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I don't know if it's the best thing to do or not, but I got some flexible fish fin finish from VD and I watered it down. When I have a slipping, or questionable spot I just brush some on. It's flexible so it wont dry hard and it turns clear. I also brush it on all of my snakes so they aren't too shiny or glossy.