1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please critique

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Birds4life, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Birds4life

Birds4life New Member

These are my first pair of Pintails I have done, please tell me what you think. I know I have allot to learn being new at this, but I am just trying too improve. So give it to me :)

Attached Files:

2. Looks Good to me. Keep up the good work.

3. tuck them wings in the pockets

4. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

I know that the pintail's neck can look very skinny in reference pictures, however i think that on both birds the skin should be taxied up a little, to fill it out some.

Great birds,
    Hoss

5. krollh

krollh Active Member

The hen looks off balance, but I'm no expert.
    More pics would be better to judge.

6. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

Here is a reference PHOTOGRAPH of the ducks by Bob Walker.

Attached Files:

7. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

it is hard to give much of a critique from only one angle but a few of the things i see on the drake: te over all shape from the side doesn't look bad, but the tail appears set too high on the body like the quills are resting on the top of the back instead of being seated back into the body. the neck looks like it is just coming off of the breast straight instead of having an "S" curve to it, no matter what the pose a birds neck always has an "S" curve in it adalways comes out of the body and curves down immediately even when flying. pintail have extremely long necks but the skin does need to be taxied up towards the head giving a better flow from the breast into the neck area. reference, reference and then more reference for all of this. were you going for a certain look with the wings? wings don't look low on the drake but are still not pocketed and the scapular and tertial feathers are bunched up on the back instead of open and flowing and this is giving the back a very flat look. feet on both birds look shrunkin and unpainted. here are couple of reference pics showing wing set, tail set and te tertial and scaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the pic smaliestalker posted shows the breast to neck transition well in a similar pose to yours. really need more angels on both birds and definately need more on e hen to critique. god job for your first pintails keep at.

8. Birds4life

Birds4life New Member

Thanks the the input, I will apply to my next Pintail.

9. Birdsforlife, if these are some of your very first birds to do then i think they are excellent! To be able to skin put all back together for your first time and make them look halfway decent is a challenge in it's self. you can usually tell on a first timers birds if they "have it" or not. And to me it looks like your well on your way! the good thing is that you know you need improvement, and that there is more to learn. All of those who have allready answered to your critique have given excellent advise! Your at the right place here! there is someone who can answer anything you come across in the bird world right here in this forum!!! Have fun!!! and practice,practice,practice- reference,reference,reference!