1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird flesher RPMs

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by andy 27, Jan 15, 2010.

1. does anyone know the rpms on a bird flesher
    thanks
    andy

2. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

For waterfowl I am using the Standard Angle Bird Flesher. Quiet, forgiving, really nice.

1/70 HP motor, 1500 RPMs, 3" wire wheel.

3. jimjones

jimjones New Member

dont use a 3400 rpm grinder, it dont work. TRUST ME

4. I run mine at 150rpm. I also use a reostat so I can regulate. Its all in what you are comfortable with.

5. Trails End Taxidermy

Trails End Taxidermy YOU GOTTA LUV IT !!!!

Andy, I just checked mine and it is a 1/10th HP Dayton running 1550 rpms.
    Kenny

6. I always made my own bird fleshing machines .with the motor from an old laundry machine . works perfect make sure you use a soft brush.
    ..Holland..

7. SteveP

SteveP New Member

I still have my heavy duty New Angle flesher. I can't keep the thermal switch from kicking out, even after replacing the motor with more HP and a different brand motor (not Dayton). It is a three inch brush at 1550rpm, and works fine while it's running.

Now I use the 1/4HP VanDykes flesher with a softer four inch wheel at 1725rpm. Greatest thing since sliced bread!!! I just have to figure out how to control the flying fat! :p

I let my kids flesh squirrels with the New Angle now.

8. Thanks Kenny that helps alot
    andy

9. thanks guys all your inputs have been great and helpfull
    Andy

10. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

I know guys that use grinders with high rpm's with zero problems. I have played around with different speeds and motors and have found that the faster the rpm is the less burn thru you get. IMO when the wheel is spinning slowly it takes a bit more pressure and easier to burn thru. In fact I have had trouble de-fatting with a fast wheel because it seems less aggressive on the skin. This is just my opinion, but I have given it an honest test. You can have 150 rpm and 5000 rpm and get the job done. Find one and stick with it, practice makes perfect, and you can perfect it with any speed and tons of practice. ;)

11. jimjones

jimjones New Member

yeah that is preolly the truth about it all. just getting use to it. my problem with the high rpm was always hitting my hand on it and then letting go of the bird and watching him turn on the wheel. with practice tho i imagine it would work. And i do agree on less burns with higher rpm. just more scary imo. im gonna go give that beast another try now. lol

12. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

You are right Jim, it is more scary with that high rpm and I have slowed the motor down with teal for example to ease the mind.