1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lutan f or fn?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by josh s., Jan 15, 2010.

1. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

quick question here, is lutan fn the same as lutan f? I ask this because in the mckenzie catalog it shows both and i have been wanting to try lutan f. thanks

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

it is the same thing

3. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

thanks

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Lutan F was the original name. However BASF added an "N" component to prevent it from caking or becoming hard during storage periods. Both the F and the FN types are the same.

Kristin Fields likes this.
  5. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

bruce.....why would i belive you......lol. kidding thanks i was thinking it probley had somrthing to do with a chemical makeup of some sort. i work with alot of chemicals at my"other" job and they do stuff like that all the time. while were at this.......what is the difference in the process between this and jrts.......which is what i am using now?

6. Kristin Fields

Kristin Fields New Member

Hello, I read your explanation between Lutan F and Lutan FN. Thank you! The Lutan F that was shipped with my tanning kit did harden completely. Can I still use it?

6DD27865-7BF7-47AD-8249-3E69E9EE6A47.jpeg

7. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Well the "N" additive didn't work.. I have a 30lb bag of the FN and it turned hard as a rock while sealed in the bag..

8. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I've been told that it is still usable even though it is hard. Is just a PITA to weigh accurately in chunks..