1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

relief cut on doe

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dawg1025, Jan 17, 2010.

1. After many, many wt shoulder mounts, I finally have the opportunity to mount a doe. (shoulder) My question is do I make a relief cut on the cape to make it easier to slide past the mannikin head. If so, how do you make the cut? If not, what is the best procedure. ???

2. Brando24

Brando24 Member

I have only done one doe, i made a cut so i could work on the ears a little easier.

3. Thanx Brando. Thats the kind of info I was looking for. As with everything else, trial and error are the best learning tools. I was hoping to learn before the arror part came into play. Come on guys.

4. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

a lot has to do with how you are doing the ear butts. If you are using clay, then you have to have a relief cut. A simple straight cut will do.

5. If you pre scuplt the ear butts in clay and freeze solid before installing you can do it without a cut. On an extreme upright form you may still have to make a cut to get it over the back of the head.

6. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

good call D. I don't do it that way, so I didn't even think of it. I even read the Gene Smith article in Taxidermy Today, two days ago.

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

I make a small straight incision from the back of the head about 3-4" down on the neck. It makes it easier to do my clay work with the cape is on the form.

8. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I've done two and did them both without a relief cut but it would be easier to do the ear butts with one.

9. Thank you all for the help. I am going to use a relief cut like matt described. The pose is extremely upright.