1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

USE A TOOTH SCREEN

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by skulley, Jan 17, 2010.

1. I have been reading back through many of the posts on here and i continually see people remarking on how nasty it is digging through this n that to find small bones and teeth. for next to nothing but a few minutes of your time you can make a screened platform to empty your contents onto when dumping your degreasing/maceration solutions. very very easy to make and no more fishing around in the goo. it's definitely not rocket science but i didn't see anyone else comment about it so i thought i would throw it out there.

some old metal screen from a junker door or window works really well

2. bowkill

bowkill New Member

The goo is too thick to go through that type of screen and anything bigger and the teeth would go through as well

3. Bone Heads

Bone Heads Kristen M. Armenia

I buy crinoline mesh fabric from walmart (its intended purpose is to give a skirt more shaping). Cut a piece about 2 feet by 2 feet square and tie bears, bobcats, coyotes, skunks, raccoons, and anything else with small teeth you don't want to risk losing up in a purse secured with a zip-tie. Very neat and tidy during the degrease and I haven't had one fall apart yet. Grease floats up through it, and you can rinse the skull and all right through the mesh. Works for me.

4. Keeping up with teeth at the degrease stage is not a problem for me. But the screen solution will still have you sifting through the goop after maceration because the goop will not go through a screen that will catch the teeth.

5. The only teeth I really had a problem with were fox teeth. So tiny. The mesh I was thinking of using is screen-door mesh and the fox canines would slip on thru it. Will look for that WalMart fabric tho.

6. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

i don't have a problem getting teeth out of the goop. Its part of the process. Part of the business.

7. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

It will get rid of SOME but not ALL of the goop.Maceration is dirty work lol.It does help though.I pour my mix through a screen then go fishing for the teeth.Its not the funnest thing in the world but its gotta be done.

8. Carrisaallen

Carrisaallen New Member

Texas
    a screen is a lifesaver indeed, but you will still have to sift through some nasty stuff. :-X

im in the process of cleaning up a rather nasty raccoon skeleton (found in the woods half rotted), and i am without gloves at the moment. going through the goo to get ll the tiny toes and such yesterday with bare hands almost had me seriously thinking about just trashing the whole thing. :eek:

gross...jellyied rotten flesh...ugh..i need gloves!!! :D

9. As you empty your bucket, just keep filloing it with water when it nears the bottom and swish it about. Pour it out slowly - all the "goop" will float, and the teeth will be at the bottom. I just repeat that till its clear water(well, mostly clear)

10. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

If you use a ziplock bag you DO NOT have to sift through the goo. Macerate the head in the bag, the teeth will fall to the bottom. When you are ready, tilt the bag sideways and let clean water run gently in the bag til ALL the goo is gone and WAHLAH, all your teeny tiny teeth are in the bottom of the ziplock all nice and clean, goo gone.

11. I use baggies for that reason if they can fit it. I do just like that but I simply cut the corner of the baggie that all the teeth are in if its a tiny one like a mink.

12. Wolfwoman

I bought a few of the extra huge ziplocks once... I can't remember the gallon size, but I did get 2 wolf heads in one...lol

I don't cut them because sometimes when I'm getting the teeth out the heads still needs more cleaning, so I just get the teeth out and put on a meat tray.

13. I dont on bigger ones. Those small teeth scare me so I dont wanna drop one with those big gloves on lol.

14. Wolfwoman

What gloves?? lol Maceration goes right thru gloves so I don't even bother anymore - they stink is there no matter what...lol

15. YUMMM!! lol man you have guts bonnie lol i would not be able to stick my hands in goop lol

16. Carrisaallen

Carrisaallen New Member

Texas
    Haha, I don't use gloves. I just try not to touch very much though. :D

17. Dont use the latex gloves. I use rubber gloves and have zero smell on my hands afterwards.

18. honestly!!!! c'mon now!! i think most y'all just like putting your hands in the goo anyhow lol some peoples kids just never grow up i reckon

19. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

Will the crinoline make it though the B.O. process? I currently use individual baggies for most skulls that will fit in a baggie, but it's a PIA. I use a type of screen currently for the B.O., but would like something the skulls could stay in from day one through completion.

20. Bone Heads

Bone Heads Kristen M. Armenia

I've never tried my crinolines in B.O., by the time I reach whitening just about all of the teeth that are going to fall out have already done so and they get whitened in a little container next to the skull in a bigger set-up. I do have 35% peroxide here. I'll try it just for the sake of experimentation and let you know.