1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first snake mount What do you think

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by woods to wall taxidermy, Jan 17, 2010.

1. wyandot42

wyandot42 New Member

That is an excellent mount. Great job. Looks very realistic.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

X2

3. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I guess it depends on your confidence as a taxidermist. You know your limitations better than someone else.

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

And if you want that customer to come back. If you screw that thing up and the customer gets it home, not only him but anyone else that sees it will think your a bad taxidermist.
    Yes some can toss just about anything together. I've been lucky, all of my firsts have come out good (all but that damn turtle :D ) but NONE of them were customer mounts because I realize they are all different. Reptiles are a lot different than game heads, and fish are a lot different than birds. Just because you can do great on one doesn't mean your first one of another will be too.
    I see it on here all the time, someone says it's my first such and such mount, and people say the same thing I said and everyone agrees. Why not this time? Maybe it's because it was ME that said it ::) ;D ;D ;D

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Bob, you just aren't the type to gain pity. That's why. Get over it. LOL

You simply can't gamble with scared money. When I get a tahr, an nyala, any of the wild sheep, or game not native in local areas, they ALL give me reasons for concern, but at some point you have to step back and say, "Hey, I can do this." If you don't have faith in your own talent, then you could be in trouble doing a B&C deer. Most times worrying about what MIGHT happen tends to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

6. buzzbait

buzzbait Padden's Wild & Wet Taxidermy and custom Woodwork

NY
    not really a critique so i will just complement on it - Awsome job!!!

7. Thanks all on response

8. supdavetax

supdavetax New Member

I take in stuff that I have never done but would never do it with out letting the customer know. I do guarantee good results. If it don't work out its on me. Its his decision from there. But if at all possible get one of the same for practise. I did turn down a white beaver. to many things to do as a newbee to try get a brown for practise. And felt it to be to rare to Chance.

9. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I agree with Cole,............

Unless someone is new to taxidermy............................

But if you've done taxidermy for awhile, then you don't have to wait on a "first mount" to be a practice mount.

Just make sure you learn and get better as you go. Every mount that I do is better than the last, mostly because of competitions and listening and learning from the judges and studying REFERENCE!

Kerby...

My first reptile reproduction that I molded of any kind. Desert Tortoise.
    [​IMG]

My second reptile reproduction that I ever molded. Cuban Rock Iguana.
    [​IMG]

My first lizard was a gila monster skin mount for a breeder out of California, my second lizard skin mount was this white throated monitor.
    [​IMG]

My first ever reproduction largemouth bass. I did a few skin mounts though. :)
    [​IMG]

My first ever skin mount rattlesnake from 1991.
    [​IMG]

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I guess it is just a confidence thing. I'm not gonna slam the guy, because his first snake came out OK, but with practice the things I had mentioned in my first post wouldn't have happened.
    I think I'm at the point now where I would do just about anything for a customer but it's because I have done something from each genus (not species) and would feel comfortable doing it. But I practiced on each one first.
    So peace, go get em, rock on, knock em dead, shake a leg,..... What ever you want to say :D

11. mario

mario New Member

Awesome job!!!

12. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

It looks good to me, but I've never done a snake mount. I do see the point about the scales being stretched apart, but it's not too bad. I'd be happy if my first one turns out as well.