1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New USDA rules for Mexican Deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Glass eye, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Got a letter today stating that Mexican deer hides infested with ticks, live or dead, will not be permiitted into the US and the establishments that had previously been approved to recieve them will no longer be approved. The code MDT will be replaced with "Prohibited"
    I guess the key word is "infested" What would constitute being infested with ticks, live or dead ?
    Would the sighting of a single dead tick prohibit the cape entry into the US ?

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Honestly, none of the USDA rules will matter in a year or 2. The drug gangs have already assaulted a group of long time US quail hunters down there in the fall & it is only a matter of time before "another" American deer hunter gets kidnapped for ransom (ie. David Mueller) and finally scares the rest of the fools who think they are bullet proof.

I got only 2 Mexico deer this year, and one of them does not have a cape because it was seized.

Mexico as a nation and country is done for.

3. jbnf

jbnf New Member

Yep MP, the country is self destructing. I wouldn't go hunting down there for anything.
    The first time I crossed the border to go party I was 16 and wasn't scared at all. Thats been 15 years ago and I wouldn't even go to that anymore.

4. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Anyone have any customers come back from Mexico without the capes because they were confiscasted ?

5. dipper

dipper New Member

A country self destructing.....that sounds familiar, but it hits closer to home, than Mexico!

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I had one Mexican deer this year. The guy who brought it in is Latino, and he cruised through customs w/o any trouble. Deer from south TX and Mexico are usually heavily infested with ticks...but so are our deer.

7. Had a client hunt down there in Dec and they told him he could not bring the cape back unless it was mounted down there. He got pissed and told them to keep the cape. He was promised a 160 or bigger WT and ended up with a 110-115 wt. Needless to say he was not happy.

8. rost495

rost495 New Member

Every hide I've had brought in was frozen. Wonder if thats changed. Thought if not frozen had to be dipped or treated somehow, or if not, then had to be solidly frozen.

9. I received four DMD capes, not frozen, but salted and wet. They were held up at the Border until I could get a copy of my USDA permit to them and then it took another week, unfrozen mind you, to get the draining, dripping hides to my location in Seattle. I immediately froze them and wrote each of the four clients about the circumstances they were received under. I've got two clients that want to go ahead with tanning the capes so I'll take them out of the freezer tomorrow.
    Personally, I've hunted Sonorra a half dozen times and when I am at the border crosssing I am always allowed to transport the skins to my business. This also holds true when a group of us brought back over 40 Ducks and Quail to mount, in the round, frozen of course, nary a problem........but this was pre-shoot em up days.

10. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Can't keep the Mexicans out, what makes the gov't think they can keep the deer out?

11. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I recently took in a desert ram in from Mexico and it took the hunter two years and a lot of "extra fees and payments", (multi thousands) to finally get it out of Mexico.

12. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

Had one Mexico deer last year. Hunter tried to bring it across "fresh" (not caped out) and they made him cape it right there at the border. Needless to say, had a few extra holes/cuts to sew.

And get this, they told him his truck was too dirty to come back across! Said he had too much Mexican mud on his truck and it wasn't allowed in the US. ??? He did make it across after an hour or so of arguing. Shooting a deer is not worth the hassle, or your life! Keep the $ in the US and stop in S. TX.