1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Forms without cape pics!!!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Todd Adams, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Nickie recently acquired a premature zebra foal hide. The skin was in mediocre condition...the hair was very short, no hooves, and most of the hair was missing from the knees down to the feet. The foal was very small and would've weighed about 35 pounds. Michael P. had a zebra foal of about 50 pounds and he was nice enough to ship the carcass to us. Although his zebra was signficantly larger than her hide, it was a start to getting a mannikin and a jaw set. After looking at many photos of zebras and horse foals, she decided on a pose. The carcass was posed according to the reference and suspended on a table using cables and pulleys from the ceiling.

[​IMG]

A plaster cast was made of the body and foam was poured into the mold to produce a form. Many signifcant and complicated alterations were required. The form was chopped down at least 20% proportionally in order to fit the measurements of her hide. Muscle, bone, tendon, and veining details were also added.

[​IMG]

The head was cast separately using RTV rubber. From the RTV mold, a head was produced for the mannikin as well as an acrylic jaw set. Both of these were also reduced in size according to the skin. Earliners were made using the cartilage from her zebra's ears. The face and expressions were sculpted using Apoxie Sculpt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along with multiple test fittings, she roughly airbrushed the skeletion onto the mannikin in order to check proportions.

[​IMG]

Hooves, genitals and the umbilical cord were sculpted using Apoxie Sculpt. The fuzz missing from the foal's legs, as well as spots of hair slippage, were repaired using a very light coating of zebra hair taken from a left over adult zebra skin, chopped into a fine flocking and glued to the bald spots. Stripes on the lower legs were airbrushed back on, prior to applying the flocking.
    The completed mount was photographed in our studio:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She did let me mount the tiny bird. It is an African orange-cheeked waxbill finch. I had to have a crash course from my good friend Michael Vaden on mounting tweety birds.

[​IMG]

2. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Wow! I Love the posing. Very well done!

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

So impressive, Rick and Nickie. IF you have time can you go into more detail on the chopping of hair into flocking and how you went about doing this repair? It would help many on here including me, of course.

4. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

That is just absolutely amazing, incredible work...wow

5. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Very nice..love it

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

6. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Gorgeous work!

7. country

country Member

WOW......very impressive!

8. Super nice job on all these mounts and forms. Keep them coming.

9. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Rick Carter that is some top shelf work brotha!!!!! Thanks for sharing..

10. kevin scott

kevin scott New Member

Absolutely incredible work on the zebra ,Nickie ! You did ok on the bird , rick ....lol

11. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

That zebra is absolutely beautiful

12. jvan

jvan Member

ma
    i was not taught to put clay on the nose pad. why do you do that? this is a very imformative thread. anyone got more pics to post

13. tem

tem Well-Known Member

It gives you a soft look and a bed to push the lines between the. oh. those little bumbs on the nose so it gives it a 3d affect.that's what I was told.never did it my self.

14. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I use the clay to plump out the pad area. They always look too flat to me.

15. Some locked bucks me and MP did while I was home.

[​IMG]

16. leopold

leopold New Member

red deer home made

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. CougarGulch

CougarGulch New Member

Anyone have one of a cougar with muscle definition build up?

18. jbtaxidermy

jbtaxidermy New Member

tag

19. lrc1492

lrc1492 Member

marking

20. leopold

leopold New Member

home made sika deer head
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]