1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I give up! Folks just dont care about real tanning anymore!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Some of you folks would smear dog 5hit on your skins, if somebody told you they wouldn't ROT OFF THE FORM!

Time to tumble in a clothes dryer? What the he11 is that? ???

FESHING and shaving service done right? Cant even spell fleshing, and advertising for business? What the f is that about? Less than a year ago, admitting to be a newbie, NOW taking in others work?

I love this site, don't get me wrong. BUT allowing folks with a bottle of KT, and a shaving machine, to advertise on here for free, this site is acting as a willing participant, in THE FAILURE of fledgling Taxidermy businesses! THAT IS WRONG, by any stretch of anybodies imagination!

2. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

As long as the powers that be do not mind, I think anyone can advertise for free, lots of people are in different categories. If it is going to be aloud then it should be restricted to the forsale section only. (my opinion)
    I know you pay for advertising and I respect that and can certainly understand your point, but it goes on all over. It does seem worse though when it is for tanning services. I`ve been around long enough to know where I should be sending my skins for the proper care and handling, it the nubes who will get burned by those guys.

3. lol...

Why be mad? they will send their skins elsewhere if they become unhappy.

4. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I agree, that sort of thing is unscrupulus, immoral, and just lowdown sh!t a$$ way to do business. But it isn't up to us, because we are in a free market society. That's capitalism. Nothing wrong with teling the truth, and warning prospective customers, though.That's called word-of-mouth.

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Right on Old Shaver. Goes right along with my pet peeve of know nothing wannabees giving totally incorrect information to beginners.

6. HiTines

HiTines New Member

If I recall Rick Carter used KT in his Whitetail A to Z Video and he never put his hide in a tumbler. Does that make him wrong?

7. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

Hudson ,were you look'n through my shop window take'n notes !!! I knew someone was out there!

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

The Elmer's works really good when mixed w/ cabosil, and Codi did a cool tutorial on using a plastic lid heated over a wire to make earliners for a squirrel. As for the marbles, not much different than using bubble eyes in mammals like coons, mink, badgers, squirrel's, etc. What else ya got? LOL

9. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

I better check my marble drawer now !!!

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

If your doing a deer you'll want a "shooter marble".

11. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

YEA MY MARBLE'S ARE GONE !!!! Oh, we already knew that !!!

12. HiTines

HiTines New Member

IMO maybe people should worry more about the finished product than what steps were took to achieve it. ;)

13. HiTines

HiTines New Member

MP's heads that are DP'ed seem to look better than most tanned mounts on here.
    Have I ever used DP on a deer? No.
    Have I ever used KT? No.
    All I'm saying is that if someone puts out a quality mount, with regular success, then who cares what they used.

Here's the part where George comes in and slams me.

14. I think the advertising should be kept to the for sale or wanted sections and leave the rest of the forum alone for general discussion and advice. Other wise this great forum is going to become a waste of time if you have to sift through a bunch of advertising no one wants to read anyway. If were looking for someone to shave our capes we'll find someone. Or any other service for that matter. Just my opinion

15. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Wow, I've heard it all now. PROFILING in the taxidemy industry! Something to keep in mind with that attitude, though is Grandpa croaks 10 years from now, grandson carries on ther family tradition and gets a big buck. He sees the cracked, drummed mess the hack threw together and sys, I won't be going tio the cheapazz gramps went to. Hey, it's your reputation.

16. Here is some horrible tanning I got burnt on a while back by one of these overnight tanning advertisers on here. The sad part is if you call them out about their poor service "YOU" are the one on here that is the bad guy. I've been doing this for 20 yrs so I know a little bit but you guys tell me whether this is acceptable tanning work or not. They even tried to sew up all of the holes that they cut. Most of the shaved areas cut the hair roots resulting in a large amount of hair loss. Most areas were not even shaved.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      50.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

If you wanted to get nit picky about it, brain tanning is the most durable according to injins :)

18. Hartung

Hartung New Member

How much did they ask for shaving and tanning and how much did you pay in the end?

19. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Free advertisement?
    Nothing is free........
    WASCO has this sight to drum up business..........Most people buy their Krowtan from WASCO and many other supplies.........I bet they sell allot of Rick Carter tapes from the feed back............
    What good would this sight be if no one advertised on it?
    As far as bad services ,well you are always going to get the bad with the good no matter what...........
    I for one make very large amounts of purchases from WASCO and so do My students so if I advertise then did I not pay for it, in a way?
    There are many times that I recommended people to use Carolina for their tanning............That was free advertising for Carolina.......
    I guess different people see things different..............but don't judge all for the wrong of a few.........
    I shave and I cut a few holes but I don't chop them up like those pictures...............
    THATS JUST LIFE MY FRIEND...............

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Hudson, to be fair, I would guess the person who "tanned" the capes in that picture wasn't much of a taxidermist either. I tan all of my deer in house and I have NEVER had anything turn out even close to that garbage I see in those pics. For the record, I also don't tan using power washers, chainsaws, weed whippers, clothes dryers, fish aquariums, magic tanning crystals, etc. Not all taxidermists are that bad at shaving and tanning.