1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I give up! Folks just dont care about real tanning anymore!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Jan 20, 2010.

1. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Hudson,I'm not disagreeing with what you wrote..........but ..............there are also those that claim to be Taxidermist that are not.
    We can define Tanneries in different ways.......
    We can define Taxidermist in different ways...........
    Different levels of quality............
    You are right,There are those that are calling theirselves tanners that are mis using the word.........
    I am by no means a Tanner............I am a Taxidermist that provides a Fleshing and SHAVEING service with 20+ years experience.
    People know up front what Tanning/Preserving (whatever) service ,I provide ,up front.
    There are many in all fields that mis represent theirselves and the service they give............
    Sort of like the Blue ribbon taxidermist that shows off his award winning mount in his show room as an advertisement and then doing a shi%y mount for the Customer..........He is a LIAR............
    It is the responsibility of anybody that sends their capes off to check into the legitability of those advertising as tanners or what ever...........
    If someone chops your capes to pieces then maybe you should have sent them an extra cape to try them out first,of coarse that is after and interview by phone and maybe REFERENCES as to their work.............

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Hell must be freezing over I actually agree with Tom on something.

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Shaved with an alligator?
    By a drunken sailor...
    With one eye...(The sailor not the gator...)

4. TD

LOL........Well Thankyou Bill.............I dont dis agree with everything that you say either..........

5. Taflingers pictures from 2005 had to be a paint on tan. That coupled with the fact that the hides are obviously RAW. To be clear, Raw means it never was pickled properly before the tan was applied.I am not even going to speculate what kind of tan that was, but the guy made a huge mistake by trying to cut the hide down more AFTER application of the tan. You can see the obvious cuts that reveal the "surface tanning" and the "blue" color of a raw skin underneath.

Even KT penetrates better than whatever that pseudo tanner used. As for the shaving, I have seen better shaving with a new shaver on the machine his first day. Incredible what passes for tanning these days.

6. What breed of dog sh1t works best?

7. Depends on what you are tanning. For coons I prefer Black and Tans. For deer and bear, the Plott Hound seems to be some good sh#t.

8. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Damn Taflinger, I had no idea some of these wanna-bees were that bad!

Live and learn? Maybe so, if you have been in the Taxidermy business for a while. The NEW businesses cant handle these set backs. They will give up, before they even get started! What a shame!

9. David- actually those pictures were taken a few months ago. I can't get that date to not show up on the camera. I'm thinking the tan was some of those magic tanning crystals.

oldshaver-- I actually won an auction on here a while back for the tanning of five capes. I figured they couldn't be that bad so why not. My 7 and 8 year old step kids could shave better.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hudson, I'm sorry to inform you but common sense isn't that common anymore. It's sure refreshing to hear you professionals saying the same things I've been catching hell for.

11. TD

Bottled Dogcrap?....LOL......... ???
    Damaged the industry?.........LOL ............ ???
    You are a MAJOR minority that shares that opinion.......... ;D
    Sounds like one hell of a far fetched statement to me...........Get real ................Come on back to earth Hudson ..........LOL............ ::) ::) ::) ::)

12. TD

Sounds like allot of OVER Reacting to me..........That's not COMMON SENSE lol

13. TD

I dont know about the world ending so soon but acording to Hudson the Taxdermy Industry may crash soon if they keep selling that krowtan lol................

14. Taflinger, that was a recent tanning job?? OUCH! With all the information that is available to the home tanner on this forum, you would think that would be hard to accomplish (the pictures). I am sitting here reading your post and I just can't come up with words to describe what I am looking at. It blows me away that somebody would even want to return a product like that to you. I would think they would have bought 5 capes and sent them back frozen green after chopping them up like that.

15. George

David, these guys aren't looking for information. This is the snaptogether generation and they're simply looking for "fast and easy". Some are proud to claim membership in a gasoline ass club. What does that tell you? "I want it NOW." is all that matters and if that entails sprinkling fairydust on a hide, then you can bet it will be a wonderful sales pitch. (WAIT A MINUTE! It already WAS. J.W. Elwood used that in his advertising of Calorax. LMAO)

16. TD

George I'm a Gasoline Ass and proud of it lol..........just as long the quality stays where I want it...........
    I do anything I can to get those mounts out the door faster but only if it doesn't sacrifice the quality I'm shooting for...........
    I use to mount 6 deer at a time in an assembly line.............but I was always very systematic in how I mounted them..........
    sometimes it would save as much as a days worth of labor ,without any sacrifice of quality..........
    ......but now that's in the commercial end of it..........
    ...........I couldn't see the competition oriented taxidermist doing this............
    How much time do you spend on an average WT buck mount?.................

17. George

If you're including hide fleshing, washing, preservation, form prep and actual mounting it's about 24 hours I'd guess. Actual putting the skin on the form - 4 to 6 hours (I like playing with it as I work detailing) and then another 2-3 hours of keeping up with it and finishing it.

18. TD

Your spending 24 hours,hands on time on a shoulder mount?
    I hope your chargeing at least 800 bucks or your not making sh*&..........

19. TD

QUALITY and the INTEGRITY of TAXIDERMY is the same NOW as it was 15-20 years ago.....BS.....
    Exactly where did I say that? lol.......
    Hudson...........Every stupid question that is asked ..............is by a Rookie............COMMON SENSE..............
    So are judgeing your opinion on that of Begginers useing the product?

20. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Didnt take long for me to quit agreeing with you Tom. Hell is thawing out.