1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I give up! Folks just dont care about real tanning anymore!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

First off, I want to say, if you PICKLE FIRST, I cant see why products like Liqui-Tan, JRTS, cant be just as effective as a multi-step tan. TANNING, AND OILING, can be accomplished in one step. Pickling, tanning, and oiling, all in one step, CAN NOT HAPPEN! It is NOT happening, no matter if the hair falls out, or not!

Shouldnt you treat ALL the skins you are going to mount, with the same respect? Why would you treat high dollar skins, differently , than the skins you get in on a regular basis?

2. HiTines

HiTines New Member

In tanning I agree old shaver. But if a taxidermist does deer head and Tans his own hides then its not the same as a snow leopard or some African trophy. Something like a rug need to be tanned professionally wheather its sent out or done in house but you act like all taxidermist are idiots and can't do what you do. When the fact is you tan hides which is the same thing lots of taxidermist do in house. The only difference is you do a bigger volume.

3. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

I care about tanning.. just don't have the bucks to build the tumbling drum and to also order all the chemicals to put into the skins. I just turned down work yesterday because the guy wanted to bring me a yote, two fox and a coon that had all been dead for a while..frozen and hanging for God knows how long, and I knew damned well that without saftee acid and ez100 tumbling drum.. (my own darned tannery basically) that I couldn't come up with a 'GREAT' feeling skin to give this guy.. ha.. then the guy was wanting a lower price than what I'd given him to basically slave over the skins.. I can make the skins soft and nice enough to hang around some richer persons fireplace.. trophy for sport killer.. lol. I called this guy back before he brought them over.. he wants a professional tanneries price.. like $24. for a coon.. and that's skinned fleshed pickled tanned oiled tumbled. These materials to supply these GREAT skins don't come easy and I've been working like a slave for at least a half dozen years starting out with braintanning LIMED hides.. that right there made me ticked off enough to put a huge chip on my shoulder x the time I realised that the residue from the lime may still be in the danged bucked hides..agitate any lime residue out of bucked hides you braintanners reading up.. total retardation there.. well deep subject..should have bought KOH.. lol
    anyway... I suggested taking them to the tannery I also suggested he bring them on over and I would indeed show him how to skin them (free of charge.. I didn't say that but I would help anyone to a point.. the point that my truck uses too much gas and the sucker is ALWAYS ON EMPTY> even though one of my passions is tanning.. Heck I might have even powered up my pw'r.. lol.. Here Bud..wanna wear my waders?? it's only 34 degrees out! Warm warm enough for bacteria to flourish... Heck the guy'd know right away if the skins were still worth sending out to the tannery now at least, wouldn't he? See what a nice gal I am? I can see why I still use alum to pickle skins with. I hope to correct my evil ways though.. I suppose I might just as well use new battery acid and just hope like hell it's neutralized for a few shelf life years... I know I wouldn't do that to a bobcat.. But some folks just never get a chance to take yotes and fox.. even if they are sport hunters, I'm sure they have plenty of money wrapped up in that. So I try to be fair enough.. I surely don't have a sign out front but folks keep coming over and asking me to tan this or that for them. another guy brought a coyote over recently that had been skinned but off the yote and left to lay in a barn for two weeks .. oh yeah my pw'er removed a spot on it's back about a silver dollar size plus a spot right in the middle of it's forehead about like a bullet hole.. hmm.. it's soaking in alum and salt right now.. he cut the legs off of it.. I'll do the best I can to make it as neutralized oiled with some damned dead oil.. and soft.. It will be painstaking.. Ill probably make 50cts an hour on the project. It won't be GREAT but it will be DECENT and plenty hard earned.. even if it is half assed.. am I proud of half ass? NO.. I want great skins..but I'll have to build my own dang tannery to do it and trust me.. no dirty skins will go into the pickle!

;;;;;.. the first fellow said that him and dad and who knows who else skinned and fleshed and sent coyotes off to the 'tannery' with the claws still attached and received different animals back wiithout the claws.. hmm.. So when I finally do get my own tumbler.. at least a 6' or 8' one, how do I keep the claws from tearing up the rest of the skins being tumbled is what I'd like to know. LOL..

anyway I'm doing this more for hobby. I surely couldn't support my tanning without all the right equipment and lets face it everyone is out there looking to either make or save a buck.. I'll do the animal skins basically to satisfy my own passion.. one day I might have to dress the kids and I in all these skins that I'm hoarding. Just hope they wont have to wear 'hair on leather' when that time arrives LOL Whoever said that braintanned hides are leather. I agree with that guy.. think it was George. Working on a sweet spotted deerskin now, all braintanned.. that dang skin's been in and out of my frame at least 5 times now.. I'm basically doing it for FREE.. well 65. ha.. was going to alum taw it.. what a crock.. but decided it was just to precious of a skin I HAD to braintan it.. ... is that any kind of money for slave labor??.. NO.. it's totally retarded but it is gas in the truck and the HUGE price I'm paying for some dang wisdom on how not to make $$ tanning hides and skins. Like Thomas Edison said. "It isn't a failure just 10,000 ways how not to do it".

4. welll whatttya know another hobbyist....

5. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

I value what the pro's on here have to teach. and am making LOTS of foolish mistakes by not listening to them.. it's a huge price to pay to learn wouldn't you say, Elkhunter?

6. dunno haven't made any mistakes yet...but i will admit they all have their own ways of dong things....For example i was following one of OldTerry's tutorials on coyote mounting and he cut the nose off and rebuilt it so i did too...well i did not like the end product so now i just thin down the inside cut away the cartilage and mount the real nose instead

7. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Mark this down folks...elkie hasnt made any mistakes!

8. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

It's obvious to me that the coyote medicine has taught you some about survival otherwise you wouldn't be here. But that doesn't mean you know all that much. You, like myself probably just know enough to classify you and me both as DANGEROUS!

9. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

You know one of the problems with this sight is there are too many people that think we should be teaching these beginners to be TANNERS.............
    This is a sight for TAXIDERMY not TANNERY.
    As far as making rugs(soft tanning) then,yes by all means all these wonderful steps are 100% necessary,if that's what they're interested in............
    Not everyone wants to send their work off and are interested in HOME TANNING or HOME PRESERVEING or what ever you want to call it...........
    But looking through the eyes of OS,I can understand where he is coming from in the Tanners view point................
    Now this is just a thought,an Opinion and that's all it is................

10. Msbraintan....exactly...i have never proclaimed to know it all...i made suggestions and offered constructive criticism based on my own experiences and everyone else jumps on me as if i am supposed to be a world class champion blue ribbon winning registered taxidermist......which i am not..........yet

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

And what you fail to realize is that you don't have enough of the first to do the second with any authority. A guy flying a Cessna ain't someone I'd put right in the right seat of a 747.

Tom, I doubt many of us would disagree with that statement were it not for the fact that MOST TAXIDERMIST think that both careers are one in the same. They are exclusive of one another regardless of what some think.

12. George does not having years of studying wildlife and animals not somewhat qualify me for constructive criticsm on people who post their work here? I have evn gone to local Bass Pro Shops and
    Cabelas and studied the mounts with intensity...not just to judge but to learn what looks good and what doesn't, as well as to discover the other persons mistakes and learn from them (IE the standing deer mount in the front of the Bass Pro shop in Council Bluffs has dark brown underbelly stitching, when it should be white or tan to blend in with the deers underbelly color)

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Certainly DOES. You HAVE EXPERIENCE THERE.

14. TD

MOST TAXIDERMIST............If you change this to LESS TAXIDERMIST then I would agree with you George...............

15. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

George..............LOL..........Your bad,

16. Oh no you did not just post that Tom...LOL

17. TD

Why? Is it top secret? LOL............
    NM............My Bad................