1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using lacquer and Acrylics together

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by shockme2, Jan 21, 2010.

1. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Hello,

This may be a dumb question but, Can you use Lacquer and acrylics together on the same mount (Fish)?

:eek:

2. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I do it all the time. So the answer is yes.

3. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Thanks Todd. I appreciate it. ;D

4. Give the water based paints plenty of drying time(I give it 20mins) before changing to laquer , and you should have no problems.

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Like these guys said, you can use them over each other but allow plenty of drying time between coats, BUT the 2 can't be mixed together in one jar. In other words if you need pink, you can't mix acrylic red and lacquer white together in one jar. They aren't compatible.

6. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I do not wait anywhere near 20 minutes for acrylics to dry. They are just mists of color so that is not neccessary to wait that long. I just paint with whatever color I need whether it is laquer or acrylic and when done with one color I move on to the next. Never had any problems.

7. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Thanks Everyone... ;D

8. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

Hey, I did when I was about 12! I think it took awhile to dry and was kinda funky looking, sorta like cottage cheese, though. Hehe... ;D

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Acrylic is paint containing pigment suspended in an acrylic polymer emulsion. It can be either water based or lacquer based and still be ACRYLIC! The use of "acrylic" in reference to "water based" is incorrect. If you are using Lifetone paints, both lacquer and water based are acrylic.

10. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

"Acrylic is paint containing pigment suspended in an acrylic polymer emulsion. It can be either water based or lacquer based and still be ACRYLIC! The use of "acrylic" in reference to "water based" is incorrect. If you are using Lifetone paints, both lacquer and water based are acrylic"

You're absolutely correct, but I ASSumed he meant water-based. LOL At least that's what I was referring to.